Young poets have an incredible opportunity to publish their poems, and gain greater access to authentic audiences.
Austin Community College is celebrating the winners of the 2020 Vision+Voice Poetry Contest on Saturday, September 5th at 6pm.
Yes, the pandemic disrupted our lives, but ACC will not stop in celebrating the students who participated in the 2020 Vision+Voice Poetry Contest. Instead of doing an in-person event, ACC has pivoted to use technology to celebrate these amazing students. Join Vision+Voice on Saturday, September 5 at 6pm to see what our Central Texas poets have created.
As always, the event features the world premiere of poetry videos shot at Austin PBS, an exhibit of the 2020 Vision+Voice poetry posters, words of encouragement from ACC Chancellor Dr. Richard Rhodes, ACC Board Member Dr. Nora de Hoyos Comstock, and our beloved Master of Ceremonies, New Orleans poet Brad Richard.
Vision+Voice is especially excited to have Juan
Felipe Herrera, the 21st US Poet Laureate, as an honored guest for this
celebration of poetry.
The program also features interviews of the poets, their parents, and teachers.
“Right now, more than any time in our students’
lives, we need to make sense of our world. We need help connecting to others
during these strange times and figuring out ways to express all the feelings
and struggles that we’re going through. Poetry is a great way to do that. Thank
you to the Vision+Voice program for providing these opportunities for our
students. Thank you to all the young poets out there for sharing your words
– Carrie Juettner, 7th Grade Language Arts teacher at Gorzycki Middle School.
Vision+Voice is an annual poetry contest for K-12 students in the Austin Community College service area. Launched in 2013, Vision+Voice was established by ACC to provide multiple venues for students to become published poets, and give students more opportunities to share their work with authentic audiences. Poems of any language are accepted.
Winning poems are selected by a panel of judges consisting of ACC Creative Writing students, faculty, and published poets.
Vision+Voice provides students multiple opportunities to share their work:
- All submitted poems are published at k12.visionandvoice.org.
- Winning poets are invited to videotape their poems at Austin PBS studios, and these videos are posted on the Vision+Voice youtube channel.
- Winning poems are published in an anthology.
- One winning poem per grade is paired with original artwork by ACC students to produce posters that are displayed across ACC campuses and throughout Austin.
- Public readings and poster exhibits are hosted by Malvern Books.
- ACC hosts an annual celebration to celebrate the students, teachers and parents who participated in Vision+Voice.
Vision+Voice is a joint project of the Art & Digital Media Division and the Liberal Arts, Humanities & Communication Division at ACC.
Join us on September 5th at 6pm:
For more information contact