This word popped up on my phone yesterday as the word of the day. Isn’t it charming? Even without knowing exactly what it means, it has a lovely lilt.
Joyance – as you might expect – means joyous feeling. Gladness. Delight. Enjoyment.
As we bring this semester and this year to a close, I wish you joyance.
As I have spent my day today –
- signing off-cycle pay requests (of course!)
- working on conference planning around the implementation of corequisites
- responding to a student complaint
- taking colleagues to lunch
- answering questions for a professional reference
- booking a couple of meetings for early January
- answering and sending emails
- trying to figure out some course equivalencies
- providing additional information to my boss about an international travel request
- looking at the (too long) list of unsubmitted grades –
I have been reminded – even in the midst of the routine (off-cycle pay requests) and the frustrating (too many unsubmitted grades) – that I find joyance in my work.
What we do matters for our students and our community. It is meaningful and impactful work that makes the world we live in better. I hope you take as much delight in our work as I do. I hope our work at ACC gives you gladness. I hope the mission and ministry of community colleges give you a joyous feeling.
I wish each of you merriment and gladness this holiday season.
Joyance to you all
Picture Credit: By Jeangagnon - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=51252267