General Information

A&P Course Readiness Assessment:

Students wishing to take BIOL 2401 – Anatomy & Physiology I (A&P I) must first pass an assessment test with a 70% or higher before they are allowed to enroll in the course. If a student meets the following requirements, please contact the Biology department at 512-223-3322 or send us an email to receive instructions on how to request permission to register for A&P I (BIOL 2401):

• Previously passed Human Anatomy (BIOL 2304) and Human Physiology (BIOL 2305) with a C or better. Permission will only be granted if both courses were taken within the last five years.
  • Previously passed A&P I (BIOL 2401) with a C or better. Permission will only be granted if this course was taken within the last five years.

NOTE: The following courses will NOT exempt you from taking the assessment test for A&P I:  Intro to A&P (BIOL 2404), High school A&P and Kinesiology A&P

Students wishing to take BIOL 2402 – Anatomy & Physiology II (A&P II) are NOT required to pass an assessment test before enrolling in the course. BIOL 2401 with a minimum grade of C (or equivalent with lab) is a required prerequisite.  Students who have previously completed A&P I at another institution will need to submit their official transcripts to Admissions and Records for evaluation.

ATTENTION STUDENTS:

REQUESTS FOR PERMISSION TO REGISTER FOR A&P I (BIOL 2401) BY TRANSCRIPT MUST BE SUBMITTED WITHIN TESTING DATES.  REQUESTS SENT OUTSIDE OF THE TESTING DATES WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. 

Why is there an assessment test?

The assessment tests evaluate if students have the necessary background material to pass HIGH SCHOOL biology and chemistry. BIOL 2401 – A&P I does not cover basic material and the assessment tests evaluate your knowledge of BASIC BIOLOGY and CHEMISTRY.

Our data indicates that students who enroll in these courses without this basic knowledge do not succeed, losing the time and money they invested.

Historically, students who have a good grounding in basic high school level biology and chemistry, as assessed on the assessment tests, have a much higher success rate (defined as earning a final grade of “C” or higher) in subsequent anatomy and physiology courses.

What is covered on the assessment test?

The A&P I Assessment Test is a 50-question multiple choice exam. The A&P I Assessment covers the pertinent state-wide objectives of high school biology and chemistry. The test is completed on the computer at a testing center. Students are allowed one piece of scratch paper.
A&P I Assessment Test Objectives

Who has to take the assessment test?

Passing the A&P I Assessment is required BEFORE any student can enroll in BIOL 2401.

There is no assessment for A&P II. Successful completion of A&P I with a “C” or better is required before any student can enroll in BIOL 2402 – A&P II.

How do I prepare for the assessment?

Review the objectives for the assessment (see the links above.) Need additional help?  Test Preparation

When do I take the assessment?

You take the Assessment Test in the testing period preceding the semester you wish to register.  For example, if you want to take A&P I (BIOL 2401) during the Fall semester, you will need to take the Assessment Test during the Summer testing period before the Fall semester begins.

Upon passing, you will have permission to register for three (3) consecutive semesters. If you need to register beyond this you will have to retest for additional permission to register. Attempts are limited to three (3) per testing period.

Students taking the A&P I Assessment Test have the option to test multiple times in a day, but the Biology Department does not recommend this approach.  Regardless, only their first three (3) attempts will apply per testing period, any additional attempts beyond the first three will be considered invalid.

Where do I take the assessment?

At any ACC assessment/testing center. For locations and hours of assessment/testing centers please click here.

*Please note, students do not need to schedule an appointment to take the assessment.

What is the cost and how to pay?

The A&P I Assessment is $10 per attempt beginning March 19, 2018. The fee must be paid before the student will be allowed to take the test, all fees can only be paid online using ACC’s Assessment Marketplace Store. Students can either bring a printed copy of their receipt or their confirmation email to the assessment/testing center to show that the fee has been paid.

Find more information at ACC Assessment/Testing Centers

To pay the fee click the link or follow the instructions below:

INSTRUCTIONS

2.) Scroll to the middle of the page and select “ACC Assessment Testing”

3.) Click “Anatomy & Physiology”

4.) Follow the prompts to add this to your cart and for payment options

Back to Top