Creating a Responsive Web Community
http://www.uvu.edu/web/ – Fantastic model for all things web I want to move toward
• Don’t want to fix stuff – Do it right the first time.
• Keeping content simple, doesn’t mean boring.
• Content will always be king but content that works on all devices is Emperor.
• “We really want to know what you think you need”
• Rouge areas can be really engaging – These folks had to be “rouge” to get what they want done.
• Define roles without “turf building”
E-expectations of College Bound High School Seniors
“What are users going to do after opening your email?”
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs: The Future of Web Marketing in Higher Education
• Acquia presentation – Drupal cloud services and development. May need them in the future.
• SFSU portal – “Gateway” Built in Drupal
• Capital Campaign- http://campaign.harvard.edu/ (Possible Bond model)
• The Amplifier http://amplifier.gatech.edu/ – Speakers and Experts Bureau on 11
• Large 4 years – The User experience breaks down/changes as users move into Academic Departments
Tip: Get Front-end buy in and roll it out slowly.
Move toward centralized services – “You get this if you get on this wagon, if not good luck”
• Trend vs Flat UI – Design needs to fit in with the real world.
• There are higher numbers for ,edu for iPads than normal
• @viljamis – “Content out, not canvas in”
• Tablet traffic surpassed smartphone traffic
• Users interface MORE with sites when on tablets
• Skeemorphic vs flat: Talk about speed and relevance
• “Reading the nuances of the inspector”
• Great Responsive site: Connecticut State Colleges & Universities – http://www.ct.edu/
YES YOU CAN! How to Train 650 CMS Users in 18 Months (with Only 3 Employees)
Western Kentucky University
• Went with Academic Departments and Colleges First – !
• As you migrate : How can I make my site work in this Template?
• Create Self Help Websites
• “Web Standards Committee” Town hall style open forum meetings
• Over communicate – no abandonment, we will help you
• Implement Suggestions, Listen to worries
• Follow up and Follow through , be consistent
• Do not allow access until they have been trained
• Monthly “You Asked For It” Sessions
• Note: They are still maintaining users/content owners by hand _ who owns what. :/
Practical Tips for IA with RWD
• Duke Web Services – Agency Model, charges by the hour
• Digital Signage What are you going to have on them? Does it really make sense to duplicate? Maybe Yes maybe no
• Use meaningful messages that people Actually USE (Important Dates and Deadlines?)
• Low income households – Mobile only access Therefore Mobile First?
• Chunks vs. Blobs
• Blob – Your content Goes here. LOL No context once removed form form – Print jammed into the web. bleh.
• Join Team Chunk – Structured content w/ Meta data to give context
Tools and Resources
• Storify – https://storify.com/ – Used to reap an event through the event’s social media presence.
• Webstagram – Embed Instagram images on your website
• Style Tiles – Mock up tool http://styletil.es/
• Sparkbox – https://github.com/sparkbox/style-prototype
• Foundation Front End Framework – http://foundation.zurb.com/