Because the criteria for child care center volunteers is determined by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (TDFPS) Minimum Standards for Day Care Centers, there are special requirements for enrollment in child development courses with laboratory components. Students enrolled in these courses will be required to complete a criminal history statement the first day of class and a notarized affidavit of this statement by the first day of lab, which will be submitted for verification of the information provided as required by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (TDFPS). Both of these forms are available for printing at www.austincc.edu/childdev
Students with a felony conviction for any offense under Title 5, Title 6, Chapter 29 of Title 7, Chapter 43 of Title 9, 15.031 of Title 4, 38.17 of Title 8 of the Penal Code or other like offense under the law of another state or federal law are not eligible to work in child care settings or take child development courses with laboratory components.
Students with any other misdemeanor or felony charge, indictment, conviction, or complaint may not enroll in child development courses until an assessment of risk is completed by the Child Development Department. Students should plan on beginning the risk assessment process, which must be completed with the Austin Community College Children’s Lab School, three months prior to enrolling in child development courses. Contact the Child Development Department Chair at 223-5201 or the Director of the Children’s Laboratory School at 223-5200, for more information.
- Other Special Requirements for Child Development:
- Students must receive a C or above in each child development course for the courses to be accepted toward the Child Development Certificate or Associate of Applied Science Degree.
- Prospective students who have a current PAC (Professional Administrator Credential) may receive credit for CDEC 2326. For information, contact the Child Development Department at 512.223.5201.
- Prospective students who have a current CDA (Child Development Credential) may have the course requirement for CDEC 1311 waived. For information, contact the Child Development Department at 512.223.5201.
- Students enrolled in CDEC 1166 or CDEC 2166 must complete 128 hours of regularly scheduled supervised fieldwork experiences per semester; a minimum of 64 hours of these fieldwork hours must be completed at the ACC Children’s Laboratory School.