In Margaret Malone’s debut story collection People Like You, characters in the thick of everyday experience absent of epiphanies, are caught off-guard or cast adrift by personal impulses even while wide awake to their own imperfections.
Malone’s writing has appeared in The Missouri Review, Oregon Humanities Magazine, Coal City Review, Propeller Quarterly, The Timberline Review, Swink, Nailed and latimes.com. She is the recipient of fellowships from the Oregon Arts Commission and Literary Arts, two Regional Arts & Culture Council Project Grants, and residencies at The Sitka Center and Soapstone. Malone has a degree in Philosophy from Humboldt State University and has taught creative writing as a visiting artist at Pacific Northwest College of Art. She lives with her husband filmmaker Brian Padian and two children in Portland, where she co-hosts the artist and literary gathering SHARE.
Final judge John Blair called the book “a masterfully minimalist collection of lives lived poorly but with the best of intentions. Her stories are powerful, sad, and plain-spoken, and this debut collection takes the normative-yet-desperate circuits of the day-to-day that Bobbie Anne Mason and Frederick Barthelme brought to the forefront of American short fiction and makes them both new again and powerfully affecting. These are marvelous and worthy stories, and very much deserving of recognition.”
Six finalists were also named:
- Aftermath Lounge by Margaret McMullan (Calypso Editions)
- Between You and Me by Scott Nadelson (Engine Books)
- Girl Power by Katie Cortese (ELJ Editions)
- Engels by Gavin McCrea (Catapult)
- Nonprofit by Matt Burriesci (New Issues)
- Wilberforce by H.S. Cross (FSG)
Former winners of the Balcones Fiction Prize:
- Hold the Dark by William Giraldi, 2014
- Girls I Know by Douglas Trevor, 2013
- We Sinners by Hanna Pylvainen, 2012
- Send Me Work by Katherine Karlin, 2011
- Love Like Hate by Linh Dinh, 2010
Nominations for the 2016 Balcones Fiction Prize will be accepted from September 1, 2016 to January 31, 2017.