Faculty and Staff

Chef Stephanie Herrington
Department Chair / Associate Professor / Culinary Advisor (Pastry Arts)

Contact Information

Chef Stephanie Herrington, a native Austinite, has been in the Hospitality/Culinary field for over 30yrs.  After completing her culinary arts degree at the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York, she moved to South Florida/Miami for 12 years to work in large high end hotels. While there, she was Assistant Pastry Chef for Sheraton Bal Harbor, a 850 room hotel. After leaving the Sheraton Chef Herrington became Pastry Chef for Turnberry Isle Yacht & Hotel, a 4 star 5 diamond hotel.

Her career has also taken her to many different types of operations, from a fly-in fishing lodge in Alaska to restaurants & catering operations in New York, California, and Texas. After working many years in industry Chef Herrington worked for Albert Uster Imports as a specialty food sales consultant covering half the state of Texas for 8 years. Currently, Chef Herrington  is the Culinary Arts Department Chair and teaching a variety of Pastry Arts classes.

“Students should never think that once they get through culinary school that the learning stops. Always keep learning and staying current on food trends. It’s always changing!”

Chef David Waggoner
Assistant Professor and Culinary Advisor (Culinary Arts)

Contact Information

Schedule an Advising Appointment

Chef Waggoner earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts-Sculpture at Ohio State and an Associates Applied Science, American Culinary Federation Apprenticeship/Hospitality Management at Columbus State Community College.

Chef Waggoner was a Culinary Instructor at Le Cordon Bleu and Executive Chef at InterContinental Stephen F. Austin Hotel in Austin, Kitchen Supervisor at Soaring Eagle Resort and Casino in Mt. Pleasant, MI, Sous Chef at Snake River Grill, Old Yellowstone Garage, Restaurant Terroir and AM Kitchen Supervisor at Teton Pines Golf and Country Club in Jackson, WY.

He is a Certified Executive Chef & Certified Culinary Educator with the American Culinary Federation and is a Food Management Professional with the National Restaurant Association.

Chef Ellen Sternau
Associate Professor and Culinary Advisor (Pastry Arts)

Contact Information

Chef Sternau, a native New Yorker, has been in the Culinary/Pastry field for over 25 years. She attended New York University where she received her Bachelor Degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management and continued onto The Culinary Institute of America receiving her Associate Degree in Culinary Arts and a Certificate in Pastry Arts. She has worked in high end restaurants in both New York City and San Francisco as Executive Pastry Chef, consulted on bakeries and restaurants abroad, was Head Chef for an off premise boutique catering company and owned a custom pastry business, How Sweet It Is, from 2005 ­ 2010. She began teaching in 2004 at The Art Institute of New York City and in 2010 at The Center for Kosher Culinary Arts, the only kosher culinary school in the country. She also is a certified personal trainer for the past 12 years. She relocated to Austin with her family in January 2015.

“One thing I always try to teach my students is to have fun in the kitchen. Be safe, work hard, taste everything, but always have fun.”

Adriana Thompson
Program Assistant and Culinary Advisor (Culinary Arts & Pastry Arts)

Contact Information

Schedule a Culinary Advising Appointment

Fall 2017 is underway through August 25, 2017. Advising hours: 10am – 3:30pm

Note: Use Google/Google Chrome web browser to make your appointment. Other web browsers may not schedule the correct time for your appointment.

If you need additional program information or would like a tour, please contact us to schedule an appointment.

After completing the Pastry Arts Certificate and realizing that I didn’t want to work for anyone, I took a small detour from my dream of owning a small cafe with my twin, and took a position within the Culinary Arts Department to assist other students in their culinary and pastry journeys. 

Craig Sowell
Lab Technician

Contact Information

Craig Sowell was born in Houston and raised in Missouri City, Texas. Since the 7th grade he knew he wanted to be in the service business. He graduated with a degree in Hotel & Restaurant Management from the Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel & Restaurant Management from the University of Houston.

He has worked in front and back of the house management for The Pappas Co. and La Madeleine and as a General Manager for independent restaurant companies in Texas, Florida and Hawaii, and has over 25 years of management experience. He has a passion for teaching those that are willing to learn and making students think, especially when it comes to preparedness, anticipation and problem-solving in the restaurant.

He is an Eagle Scout, a published author and enjoys history, reading and writing in his spare time. He and his wife have three children.

He joined the Adjunct Staff at ACC in the Spring of 2013.

Chef Laura LaGue
Adjunct Professor

Contact Information

Originally from upstate New York, Chef LaGue moved to Texas the minute she got a driver’s license. After a few years of restaurant work in Houston, she returned to the land of ice and snow to earn a degree from the Culinary Institute of America at Hyde Park, N.Y.

Returning to Texas, Laura discovered a fondness for hotel work at the Four Seasons in San Antonio, ultimately becoming their Pastry Chef. A move to Austin in 1993 brought a return to cooking as the Hyatt’s Executive Sous Chef. Subsequent to that, Laura managed food service operations at Freescale Semiconductor.

Chef LaGue’s most recent seven years have been with Sweetish Hill Bakery, cooking for 350 students at a private school, and demonstrating that nutritious can also taste delicious.

She joined ACC in the Fall of 2012.

Chef Erika Bongort
Adjunct Professor

Contact Information

Food is the Passion which Drives Me!

Chef Bongort has been a passionate participant in the foodservice industry for over 30 years, with experience ranging from hotels and catering to white tablecloth restaurants. She also has experience in agriculture and farming, actively working on her family’s farm for in Eastern Pennsylvania for 5 years.. Chef Bongort is a native of the New Jersey who successfully completed her  AAS in Culinary Arts from Hudson County Community College in Jersey City, New Jersey, graduating Summa Cum Laude. She went on to pursue her bachelor’s degree and achieved a B.A. in Hospitality and Restaurant Management from the New England Culinary Institute in Montpelier, Vt.

Chef Bongort’s teaching philosophy is , ” You must know the basics; the products, the taste, the composition, the textures, the science before anything else. Food is a medium for one’s expression.”

Chef Bongort  expects students to have an open mind and a willingness to learn, to be serious, professional and respectful. She believes that going to school is only the first of many steps to growth. When not teaching or working

Chef Bongort is an active member of Les Dames d’Escoffier Austin chapter.

Chef Stella Bromley
Adjunct Professor

Contact Information

Stella Farris Bromley started her culinary career at the age of 15 in her home town diner as the Easter bunny but was bitten by the culinary industry bug and quickly became head cashier and progressed through all of the “front of the house” positions within the local motel & restaurant throughout high school.  The experience made such an impression on Stella that she applied for and was accepted into the University of Houston’s Conrad N. Hilton College where she received her Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management with a minor in Speech and Communications.

Stella worked at a variety of iconic Houston restaurants such as The Stables Restaurant and was soon hired as a manager for Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen.  After graduation, Stella joined friends in beautiful San Diego, CA where she worked at the historic Marine Room in La Jolla, CA.

Stella Bromley chose to seek new challenges and became an educator and leader within the K-12 community and holds a Masters of Information and Library Science from San Jose State University.

In 2010, Stella realized that she missed the action and exciting world of hospitality; opened her own dessert catering company and sought out an opportunity to apply her experience in hospitality and education to the culinary field with Austin Community College.  She currently is a culinary instructor at Central Market on North Lamar, adjunct professor, and the Coordinator of Student Events for the Hospitality and Culinary.

Chef Matthew Melton
Adjunct Professor

Contact Information

Matthew Melton earned a BS in Culinary Nutrition and an AS in Baking & Pastry Arts at Johnson & Wales University in Providence, Rhode Island.

Born and raised in Texas, Matthew discovered his passion for baking and cooking at home and followed it to culinary school. At school, Matthew learned about the science of baking and decided to pursue a career as a Research Chef, learning Nutrition, Food Science and Product Development over his five years there.

After graduation, Matthew worked developing organic and allergen conscious food products for a private sales company, and learned more about recipe development and food photography. Missing home, Matthew moved back to Austin and decided to share his food knowledge in the hopes of helping people with restricted diets love food again.

Sylvia Cruz
Adjunct Professor

Contact Information

Coming soon…

Chef Bryant Currie
Adjunct Professor

Contact Information

After 3 years of studying Medical Technology at the University of Kansas School of Allied Health, I decided to chase my lifelong passion of becoming a Chef and entered into the culinary college at Johnson & Wales University in Providence, RI. After my first year of school, I was honored to accept my Externship in Aruba, working for Divi Resorts. A 3-month experience that simply confirmed my passion for food and food service. After finishing my Associates in Culinary Arts, I was the recipient of the universities first Culinary of Excellence Award and was given the once in a lifetime chance to work with Paul Bocuse in Lyon, France. I spent 3 weeks at his restaurant in Lyon, and completed a rotation within his establishment at Restaurant Paul Bocuse; a 3 Star Michelin Restaurant.

After graduating from Johnson & Wales with my Bachelors in Food Service Management, and finally with my MBA in International Business, I began my career at Yale University Dining Services. After a brief time at Yale, I accepted the Assistant Director of Finance and Systems position at Brown University Dining Services and stayed there for 4 years, before moving to sunny Texas.

While in Texas, I worked at TCU as the Director of Operations for the Food Service Department, where I was able to introduce forward thinking cuisine to the campus such as Sushi, Vegan Stations, and Mongolian Concepts. After 4 years in Ft. Worth, I continued my culinary career as an Executive Chef to some very exclusive Country Clubs in North Texas, Hotels in the Dallas Market Center area, and Business Dining.

One of the most enjoyable challenges in my career was my experience as a Culinary Instructor in the Dallas area, and then subsequently accepting a position in Kyle, Texas as the District Executive Chef for Hays CISD; where I currently reside. My favorite cuisine is Thai Food, and I love riding my bicycle around town. One of my favorite and most educational things to do is dining at new and innovative restaurant concepts in the Austin and San Antonio areas. A love that will always keep my skills sharp and my stomach full.

SYNOPSIS OF EXPERIENCE

• Received an Associates in Culinary Arts at the prestigious Johnson & Wales University in Providence RI.
  • Continued on at the institution receiving Bachelors in Food Service Management and subsequently, an MBA in International Business.
  • Worked at some very well known food service institutions such as Yale University Dining, Brown University Dining, TCU Dining, and Johnson & Wales University Dining in Charlotte, NC
  • Currently reside as the District Executive Chef for Hays CISD in Kyle, Texas and spend some of my nights as an adjunct instructor.

Chef August Ench
Adjunct Professor

Contact Information

For over half my life I have been practicing the culinary arts. My love of food began as a child and grew with my first kitchen position at the age of 15. After several years of apprenticeships I was accepted to the Culinary Institute of America to study under the world’s finest Chef Instructors.

While attending CIA I worked at the Westchester Country Club learning valuable lessons form Certified Master Chef Edward Leonard. After graduating with honors I moved on to work for Chef Janos Wilder, where we received several James Beard Awards for Best Restaurant in the South West and several nominations for being one of the Top Five Restaurants in America. Shortly after that I began as an Executive Chef at Fioritos Italian, a small but boutique restaurant and began to hone my skills in Italian Cuisine. In 2013 I became certified as an adjunct Culinary Instructor and spent eight semester at Pima College in Tucson teaching developing culinary students.

I moved to Austin two years ago to pursue a larger culinary scene and have loved it here so far.  The progressive market here is inspiring and ever changing, the perfect environment for growing chefs.  I was most recently the Executive Chef  at Taverna and helped them open the second location in the Domain. This position was rewarding and challenging but my focus has now shifted to ACC’s Culinary Department and The Health Nut.  It is great to be a part of the culinary team here at Austin Community College and I look forward to helping develop Austin’s future chefs.

Get Started

Ready to start your Culinary or Pastry education? We’re here to help guide you.

Find out more.