Parents: Questions & Answers

When can my child start taking ACC classes?

High school students may co-enroll in Austin Community College once they have successfully completed their 8th grade year in either a public school, private school, charter school, or home school. Student must be an entering 9th thru 12th grader.

How old does my child have to be to start the program?

Although there is no specific age requirement, a student who has not completed his/her 8th grade year may not be permitted to enroll at Austin Community College as a Dual Credit student. Student must be an entering 9th thru 12th grader.

How much will I have to pay?

Tuition & fees are waived for Dual Credit students enroll in a Core Curriculum, Workforce course required for an ACC workforce certificate or degree, or Foreign Language course, and who reside in the ACC taxing district including: Austin, Del Valle, Elgin, Hays, Leander, Manor, and Round Rock school districts, and those portions of the Pflugerville and Eanes school districts that pay property taxes to the City of Austin.

Dual Credit students will be limited to a total of 12 ACC course tuition/fee waivers. Any course taken once the 12-course limit is reached (or a course not eligible for the Dual Credit tuition & fees waiver) will be assessed regular tuition & fees based on the student’s residency coding per the Admissions & Records Office.

Dual Credit students residing outside the ACC taxing district and within the ACC service area are charged a $150 per-course fee for courses taken at ACC campuses or via Distance Learning for courses that are Dual Credit tuition & fees eligible.

Books, supplies, and parking fees are the responsibility of the student and can average $100 per course.

Can I attend class with my child?

No, unless you meet the individual requirements and register for the course as a student, you will not be able to attend class with your child.

If my child must miss a day of school, can I attend class in their place?

No, only students who are registered for the class may attend.

Where can my child take Dual Credit classes?

Students can attend any ACC campus or Center. We also work with serivce area high schools to offer a selection of courses on various high school campuses. Please see our Online Schedule of Classes to see if classes are offered at your child’s high school campus: Online Schedule

Where can my child go for advising if they missed the advising session at the high school?

Students may visit any ACC campus Advising Office

An important note: After meeting with an Advisor at a campus, the student MUST submit their Dual Credit paperwork to the Admissions & Records Office on campus for processing.

Is an appointment necessary for advising at an ACC campus?

Advising at an ACC campus is in on a first-come-first-serve basis; no appointment needed. Please contact your closest campus for on-campus advising hours.

What does my child need to bring with them for advising?

New Students:

  • Completed HS Programs Enrollment Form (with all required signatures)
  • Copy of Test Scores (PSAT, PLAN, SAT, ACT, STAAR)

Returning Students:

  • Completed HS Programs Enrollment Form
  • Copy of Test Scores (PSAT, PLAN, SAT, ACT)

I am trying to register my son/daughter for these classes and I am receiving an error message, why am I unable to register them?

There may be several reasons for receiving this message. Please have the student contact our offices directly so that we can help them determine an appropriate course of action.

Remember, we will not be able to disclose information to anyone other than the student, even parents.

Back to Top