Tribute to Frank Squires

TRIBUTE TO FRANK SQUIRES

Frank Squire photo3On April 23, 1999, Austin Community College and the ACC Board of Trustees formally renamed the Semiconductor Manufacturing Technology Building at the ACC Riverside Campus in honor of Frank Squires, former chief administrative officer of SEMATECH.

Squires was instrumental in establishing a two-year Semiconductor Manufacturing Technology at ACC. The program began registering students during the fall semester of 1995. In support of the program, Squires was involved with the formation of a council of semiconductor executives who provide strategic direction and resources for the technician program. Top executives from all of the local semiconductor companies-both manufactures and suppliers- sat on the council that was chaired AMD Group Vice President Gary Heersen. “He also helped us reach consensus on our approach to the local education continuum that starts in the eighth grade and continues through graduate school”.

The Frank Squires Workforce and Education Fund was established. Friends and business associates have contributed $50,000 to this fund which was used for faculty fellowships. “These fellowships are an innovative approach to enhancing the skills of the ACC faculty. The fund will allow the community college faculty to take a six-week sabbatical from their teaching responsibilities and actually work in a semiconductor facility,” said Dr. Richard Fonte, past president of ACC.

Also announced during the building dedication were a variety of new scholarships for students enrolled in the Semiconductor Manufacturing Technology program. There scholarships are in addition to the Robert Galvin Endowment and individual scholarships funded by AMD, Eaton, and Tokyo Electron. SEMI will contribute the proceeds from their annual golf tournament, estimated at $10,000, for the Squires SEMI scholarships.Frank Squires Building plaque

Renaming the teaching facility after Frank Squires is our way of expressing our respect and our recognition for this model program” said Mr. Earl Maxwell, past chair of the Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce. The companies that have been involved in supporting the program locally include AMD, Cirrus Logic, Cypress Semiconductor, Motorola, Samsung, and SEMATECH. In addition, the supplier companies represented by SEMI and SEMI/SEMATECH as well as Aera, Applied Materials, Steag, and Tokyo Electron.

Meet Taylor Nguyen

Meet Taylor Nguyen

“When I first began attending Austin Community College, I only had a very basic idea of what I was interested in and where I wanted to go with my academic career. It wasn't until I started taking courses at the ACC Electronics Department that I met the people who could guide me in the right direction, and encourage my interest in electrical engineering. In particular, Dr. Alberto Quinonez, Professor Rosa Carrasco, and Dustin McInvale have provided me with invaluable advice and support.

My experience here has been incredibly helpful and empowering, and I have no doubt that it has played a large role in my admission to the University of Colorado at Boulder for Computer and Electrical Engineering. I'm very excited to finish my bachelor's degree, and to apply what I've learned out in the working world!"