1. Can I receive college credit for previously awarded training in the fire service?

    Yes, students can receive 12 semester hours for the Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP) Basic Firefighter certification, 3 semester hours for each TCFP certification: Fire Instructor I II, HazMat Technician, Fire Inspector, Fire Officer I and 6 semester hours for TCFP Fire Investigator certification. This is at a cost of $10 per semester hour. In order for this credit to be applied to a transcript students must successfully pass one 3 semester course with ACC.

  2. How do I receive the Texas Firefighter tuition exemption?

    Students who wish to receive the firefighter exemption should send an email to the Department Chair of Fire Protection at nathan.zaleski@austincc.edu The student should include their name, ACC eID number, the course(s) you registered for to include the Course number and title (ex: ENGL-1301, English Composition I) and an employment verification letter from the department you work at.

  3. What kind of classes can I take under the Texas Firefighter tuition exemption program?

    The only courses that can be approved for the exemption are courses that are directly applied to the degree program. The State of Texas mandates that students must maintain a 2.0 GPA to continue receiving the exemption and the student must not exceed 150% of the hours towards the degree. For example, an AAS degree requires 60 semester hours for completion; students cannot exceed 90 semester hours of college credit in order to receive the exemption at the AAS level.

  4. How does an AAS in Fire Protection Technology help me?

    An Associate’s degree in Fire Protection Technology can benefit students in many ways. Several Fire Departments in the State of Texas pay their firefighters an education stipend for an AAS degree or higher. Graduates will qualify for TCFP’s Master Firefighter certificate once they meet the 12 years of experience as required by the state. Many fire departments require applicants to have a certain amount of college credit to apply (typically 15 hours as minimum). An AAS can allow fire service personnel to become more competitive for promotion. Also, an AAS degree in Fire Protection Technology can complete many requirements mandated at the Bachelor’s level. Many four years degree plans related to the emergency services require the student to have 18-42 hours of technical or vocational credits. The AAS degree program allows the student to meet this requirement.

  5. I work shift-work, are the classes 100% online?

    All the Fire Science classes in the degree program are distance learning/hybrid. What this means is that about 85% to 90% of the course work is done online. The remaining work is done in the classroom. Typically each course offered will have 3 to 4 class sessions, with each class session offered twice to accommodate the shift firefighter. All fire science classes are currently offered in an 8 week format for the Spring and Fall semesters and a 6 week format during the summer sessions. This schedule may be subject to change, students should check the course schedule: http://www6.austincc.edu/schedule/

    ACC offers many of the general education classes in a 100% online format.

  6. Can I receive TCFP credit/certification for courses I take in the degree program?

    Yes, the following courses are certified by TCFP: FIRT-2305 Fire Instructor I, FIRT-2307 Fire Instructor II, FIRT-2359 Fire Instructor III, FIRT-1342 Fire Officer I, FIRT-1343 Fire Officer II, FIRT-2356 Fire Officer III, FIRT-2357 Fire Officer IV.

    The course Instructor will set up a TCFP skills test date and written exam date. The student is responsible for all fees associated with TCFP.

  7. I am interested in obtaining a Bachelor’s degree when I graduate from the AAS Fire Protection Technology program. Does ACC have an articulation agreement with any 4 –year Educational Institutions?

    Yes, ACC currently has an articulation agreement with Texas AM San Antonio’s Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences Fire and Emergency Services Administration – Emphasis program. Furthermore, there are many other 4-year Bachelor’s programs that students may qualify for. West Texas AM offers a Bachelor’s degree in Emergency Management Administration, St Edwards University offers a program in Public Safety Management, and Texas State University offers a program in Public Administration. These are just a few Universities that offer programs related to the Emergency Services, students should research programs that suit their educational needs and goals. Students should also understand the requirements for each program before applying.

Back to Top