Scholarships give students confidence to overcome their fears

Ted – Peierls Scholarship Recipient

Ted – Peierls Scholarship Recipient

I live in Austin, Texas, and I’m thirty-two years old. For many years getting an education always seemed like a dream. I always felt the need to go to school, but then fear and doubt would creep in. To be honest, I was scared of failing. Over the years, I convinced myself that I wasn’t smart enough to go to college. That all changed when I lost a very important person in my life. Shortly before she died, she told me to stop being afraid. She encouraged me to chase my dream and help make the world better. I remember asking her, how do I do that? She said, one person at a time. I am majoring in Psychology. I love helping people grow and provide solutions to their problems. When I am finished with my studies at ACC, I plan on transferring to a four year university to complete my undergrad. After my undergrad is complete, I will apply to graduate school. I have a dream. That dream is to not only graduate from college, but to earn a Ph.D. Fear is no longer a factor in my life. I will be successful because failure is not an option.

Back to Top