Scholarships help students influence the lives of others

Ana – Drs. Aileen & Walter Bumphus Endowed Scholarship Recipient

In high school, I realized that it was possible for me to change the world. I decided that I was going to do my part and help where I could. I’d witnessed the world change before me, my own world, through education. My mother, a teacher, changed my life. My school teachers helped shape my character and my view on the world. During my junior year, I met a guy named Alex. He was slightly older than me, and the interesting thing about him is that he was deaf. In under a year, I learned Mexican Sign Language and was completely fluent. Realizing how incredible it was, and how deaf people in my country had few to no opportunities, I decided it was a good idea to bring a sign language course to my own high school, where hearing people could learn sign language too, and help include those who couldn’t hear. I used most of my time preparing to give sign language classes and host events related to it at my school and different places in my city. We always had many volunteers and people helping us, mainly students from my sign language class, wanting to spend time with deaf people and help out where they were needed. Meeting Alex and getting involved in his life and world, understanding how he didn’t have the same opportunities that I did, not only changed my life, but made me realize that there are people out there who are being left out for being different. I am determined and motivated to make a difference in a child’s life; a child with different abilities than mine, who can teach me to see the world through his/her eyes. In no way do I want to change their views or who they are; I want to teach the rest of the people that they are just like everyone else and deserve a place in this world. When I graduated, I moved to the United States to learn American Sign Language as well and pursue my dream of becoming a Special Ed teacher, hoping to help improve Special Ed people’s lifestyles one day. To this day, I still keep in touch with my dearest friend Alex, who reminds me quite often of my purpose and dream to help people like him.

Back to Top