Application Process for EMT Advanced/ Paramedic
- Applicants must be enrolled in Austin Community College. Click here for more information. Admission to Austin Community College does not guarantee admission to a Health Sciences program.
- The Advanced Emergency Medical Technician and Paramedic programs are open only to EMT Certified individuals over the age of 18 at the time of application.
- Applicants must have a current Texas certification as an EMT or proof of current enrollment in an EMT Class or eligibility to take the National Registry Exam.
- Students must be TSI complete or exempt.
- Students must be in good standing with the college and cannot be on academic probation.
- Applicants must meet the Technical Standards required by the program.
- Applications are accepted throughout the year on a first come, first served basis until all seats are filled. The deadlines below reflect the optimal time to submit your application.
- If the semester in which you are applying is full, you will be placed on an alternate list. Applicants accepted as alternates and not placed during the semester for which they applied will be moved to the top of the list for the next semester. Contact administrative assistant Eric Merino at email@example.com for more information.
- Optimal application deadlines for EMSP Advanced:
- Fall Semester: August 1
- Spring Semester: December 1
- Summer Semester: May 1
- If a deadline ends on a weekend, the due date will end on the next business day.
- We will accept applications past the deadline if seats remain available.
Click here to view the Advanced EMT Level 1 Certificate Plan. Successful completion of the Level 1 Certificate leads to certification as an Advanced EMT. This curriculum includes 19 College Credit hours and a total of 640 contact hours, 544 of these hours within EMSP program courses.
Click here to view the Paramedic Level 2 Certificate Plan. Successful completion of the Level 2 Certificate leads to certification as a Paramedic. This curriculum includes 45 college credit hours and a total of 1584 contact hours, 1440 of these hours within EMSP program courses.
Click here to view the Emergency Medical Services Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degree Plan. Successful completion of the Associate Degree of Applied Science leads to licensure as a Paramedic. This curriculum includes 60 college credit hours and a total of 1776 contact hours, 1328 of these hours within EMSP program courses.
All courses in the Level 1 certificate apply toward the Level 2 certificate. All courses in the Level 2 certificate apply toward the Associate Degree Award. Students need not repeat courses or complete competency evaluations unless more than two years passes between awards and admission to the next level, or the student is transferring from another institution
- Complete the program-required immunizations and retain a copy of your immunization form. If you already took the EMT course through ACC, skip this step.
- Review the mandatory online Information Session. Print and keep a copy of the post-test confirmation email.
- You must be CPR certified through The American Heart Association for Healthcare Providers (BLS). Review the CPR requirements and a list of places where certification can be obtained.
- You must hold either a National Registry or a State of Texas EMT Certification. If you are currently enrolled in an EMT certification course, you may submit an official roster with your name on it.
- Go to the CastleBranch website and click the link “Place Order.”
- Enter UL64im in the “Package Code” field. After entering your personal information, the system will prompt you to upload your 1-page immunization form for each of the four required immunizations. The cost to set up the account is $30.
- Next input code UL59im in the “Package Code” field. The system will prompt you to upload the following application documents:
- Information Session Post-Test confirmation email, signed
- CPR Certification – American Heart Association (BLS)
- EMT Certification
- Documents are approved when you receive a green check next to the requirement. All items must be approved in CastleBranch before your application will be accepted.
- After completing the steps above for CastleBranch (green checks = clearance), complete the application for the EMSP Advanced program.
- Deliver application to a Health Sciences admissions office during the application period (see “Deadlines”):
- Eastview Campus: 3401 Webberville Rd. Austin, TX 78702 (Building 8000, Room 8356)
- Round Rock Campus: 4400 College Park Dr, Round Rock TX 78665 (Building 3000, room 3105)
Provisional Admission Information
Admission to the EMSP program is provisional until the following clinical requirements are met. Do not take action on these items until instructed by the department:
- Criminal background check
- Drug screen
- TB test and physical exam
- CPR certification
- Proof of health insurance
- Seasonal flu vaccine
If you have concerns about events in your background, you may contact the Health Sciences Compliance Coordinator Lisa Enloe at (512) 223-5867 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search the Health Sciences Website
EMS Professions Updates
The ACC Early Alert Referral System
The ACC Early Alert Referral System (EARS) is a new resource hub for ACC students seeking assistance with Academics, Health Care, Child and Family Care, Mental Health, Transportation, Civil Rights, Food Assistance, and more. Click here to visit the website.Read more
EMS Professions Courses at Hays Campus
EMS Professions courses will be offered at the Hays campus starting in Fall 2018. Applications are currently being accepted.Read more
Now Accepting Applications for Summer 2018
Please complete the Information Session and upload required documents to your CastleBranch account before you complete the program application. Visit the Application Process page for more information.Read more