Health Information Technology Application Process
- Applicants must be enrolled in Austin Community College. Click here for more information. Admission to Austin Community College does not guarantee admission to a Health Sciences program.
- The Health Information Technology program is open to all students. A health science background is not required to apply.
- Applicants must meet the Technical Standards required by the program.
- To be accepted into the program, you must be complete or be exempt from the TSI exam. Click here to learn more about the exam.
- Applications for the Health Information Technology program are accepted on an on-going basis once all admission requirements have been met. Students are admitted based on their application date on a first-come, first-served basis. Application reviews begin on June 1 of each year for admission into the Fall semester.
- New students are only accepted in the Fall semester unless they are transferring from another program and have previously completed the required coursework elsewhere. If your application is received after the classes have filled, your application will be placed on the waiting list for the next class of new students.
- Applicants must meet the requirements outlined in the “Eligibility” section above.
- Complete the program-required immunizations and retain a copy of your immunization form. If you choose to not complete the Hepatitis B vaccination, you will need to get a copy of the form from the department chair. You will not upload this form to CastleBranch. It will be turned in with your application document.
- Complete the mandatory online Health Information Technology Information Session. Print and keep a copy of the confirmation email.
- Complete the following prerequisite courses with grades of “C” or better:
- HITT 1301: Health Data Content (In order to take this prerequisite, you must complete the Student Petition Form. Please include which courses you want to take and the semester you want.)
- HPRS 1106: Essentials of Medical Terminology (HITT 1305 will also be accepted.)
- BIOL 2404: Introduction to Anatomy & Physiology (must be completed within 5 years of acceptance or must be repeated)
- BCIS 1305: Business Computers Applications
- MATH 1314: College Algebra
- Obtain official transcripts for coursework taken at any schools other than ACC.
- During the application period (see “Deadline” above), go to the CastleBranch website and click the link “Place Order.”
- Enter UL64im in the “Package Code” field. After entering your personal information, the system will prompt you to upload your 1-page immunization form for each of the four required immunizations. The cost to set up the account is $30.
- Next input code UL62im in the “Package Code” field. The system will prompt you to upload the signed Information Session confirmation email
- Documents are approved when you receive a green check next to the requirement. All items must be approved in CastleBranch before your application will be accepted.
- After completing the steps above for CastleBranch (green checks = clearance), download and complete the Health Information Technology program application.
- Deliver application and official transcripts from any schools other than ACC to a Health Sciences admissions office:
- Eastview Campus: 3401 Webberville Rd. Austin, TX 78702 (Building 8000, Room 8356)
- Round Rock Campus: 4400 College Park Dr, Round Rock TX 78665 (Building 3000, room 3105)
Applications for the Health Information Technology program are accepted on an on-going basis. Admission is based on application date. Upon receipt of your completed application, you will be placed in the next beginning class in which openings are available.
Admission to the Health Information Technology program is provisional until the following clinical requirements are met. Do not take action on these items until instructed by the department:
- Criminal background check
- Drug screen
- TB test and physical exam
- CPR certification
- Proof of health insurance
- Seasonal flu vaccine
If you have concerns about events in your background, you may contact the Health Sciences Compliance Coordinator Lisa Enloe at (512) 223-5867 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search the Health Sciences Website
Health Information Technology Updates
The ACC Early Alert Referral System
The ACC Early Alert Referral System (EARS) is a new resource hub for ACC students seeking assistance with Academics, Health Care, Child and Family Care, Mental Health, Transportation, Civil Rights, Food Assistance, and more. Click here to visit the website.Read more
Health Information and Technology Society
The purpose of the HITS is to provide students with educational and networking opportunities in the Health Information Technology Program and in the Health Information Management (HIM) communities.Read more
Health Information Technology Program ApplicationsRead more