Occupational Therapy Assistant Application Process
- Applicants must be enrolled in Austin Community College. Click here for more information. Admission to Austin Community College does not guarantee admission to a Health Sciences program.
- The Occupational Therapy Assistant program is open to all students. A health science background is not required to apply.
- Applicants must meet the Technical Standards required by the program.
- New students are accepted into the OTA program in the Fall only.
- Applications will be accepted September 1 – May 31
- If the deadline ends on a weekend, the due date will end on the next business day.
Use the following steps as a checklist before you continue to the next section “How to Apply.”
- Complete the program-required immunizations and retain a copy of your immunization form.
- Review the mandatory online Information Session, then print and keep a copy of the post-test confirmation email. A face-to-face session is recommended in addition to the online information session.
- Complete the following prerequisite courses with a minimum grade of “C” and minimum 2.5 GPA:
- ENGL 1301: English Composition I
- PSYC 2314: Human Growth and Development (Must cover conception to end of life. Must must be within 7 years of the application date)
- PSYC 2301: Introduction to Psychology (Must be within 7 years of the application date)
- BIOL 2404: Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology (BIOL 2401 and BIOL 2402 can both be used to substitute for BIOL 2404. The anatomy and physiology requirement must be within 7 years of the application date.)
- If any prerequisite courses expire in the semester prior to an application deadline, they will be accepted for the Occupational Therapy program. The application deadline is always in the Spring semester, so if a prerequisite course expires in the Fall, it will be accepted.
- Prerequisites may be in progress but must be completed by the end of the Spring semester for that application year. If courses are in progress, include a note on your application. For courses not taken at ACC, a transcript is required for your application to be processed.
- The 2 co-requisites below may be taken prior to the start of the program; however, they are not required as part of the application. If they are completed, bonus points will be assigned on your application. If co-requisites are to be included in your application, these must be completed by the end of the Spring semester. If courses are in progress, include a note on your application. Course substitutions may be reviewed by Department Chair.
- SPCH 1318: Interpersonal Communication (SPCH 1311 accepted if focus is for Health Sciences)
- PHIL 2306: Ethics
- Complete a minimum of 20 hours of volunteer experience with a licensed OTR or OTA within two years of the application date. Students must keep track of hours on the Observation/Volunteer Record form. Waived for the Fall 2021 application.
- Complete only three Work Skills Assessment forms to submit with your application. One must be completed by the licensed OTR or COTA that supervised the volunteer experience. The other two must be completed by an individual who has professional experience with the applicant (employer, instructor, or supervisor). The Work Skills Assessments must be sealed and signed across the seal by the individual completing it. Waived for the Fall 2021 application.
- Complete the “Student Reflection” located on the OTA program application (see “How to Apply” below). Please check back for updates to this requirement. We will be posting a new topic soon.
- Complete the ATI TEAS, Allied Health version after completion of prerequisite courses. The test must be completed within the last two years of the application deadline. Detailed instructions for how to download the correct score report for uploading into CastleBranch for your application can be found here. Listed below are resources to aid in preparing for the ATI TEAS examination:
- Obtain official, sealed transcripts for coursework taken at any schools other than ACC.
- During the application period (see “Deadline” above), go to the CastleBranch website and click the link “Place Order.”
- Enter UL64im in the “Package Code” field. After entering your personal information, the system will prompt you to upload your 1-page immunization form for each of the four required immunizations. The cost to set up the account is $30. Re-applicants do not need to re-upload immunizations (unless your Tdap has expired).
- All applicants and re-applicants must input code UL73im in the “Package Code” field. The system will prompt you to upload the following application documents:
- Information Session post-test confirmation email
- Observation/Volunteer Record form
- Student Reflection with all questions answered
- ATI TEAS exam results
- Documents are approved when you receive a green check next to the requirement. All items must be approved in CastleBranch before your application will be accepted.
- After completing the steps above for CastleBranch (green checks = clearance), download and complete the Occupational Therapy Assistant program application:
- Applications will not be accepted in person until further notice. Follow the instructions on this page to submit your application remotely.
- Academic GPA of prerequisites and completed co-requisites: 80%
- Student Reflective Essay: 20%
- Bonus points are given for completion of any co-requisites.
Provisional Admission Information
Admission to the Occupational Therapy Assistant Program is provisional until the following clinical requirements are met. Do not take action on these items until instructed by the department:
- Criminal background check
- Drug Screening
- TB Testing
- Health Data Form
- Proof of health insurance
- Seasonal flu vaccine
If you have concerns about events in your background, you may contact the Health Sciences Compliance Coordinator Lisa Enloe at (512) 223-5867 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search the Health Sciences Website
Occupational Therapy Assistant Updates
TEAS Testing Requirements for Health Sciences Applicants
A TEAS Exam score is required to apply to the following programs: Dental Hygiene, Occupational Therapy Assistant, Physical Therapist Assistant, Radiology, Sonography, and Vocational Nursing.
If you are not applying to one of the programs above, then you are not required to take the TEAS Exam at this time. Please refer to the Application Process page for your program to see all application requirements.Read more
Anatomy and Physiology I Assessment Testing Suspended for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 Registration
Due to COVID-19 and in response to ACC campuses limiting access to essential personnel only, the A&P I Assessment Test has been suspended for the remainder of the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 registration periods.Read more
The OTA Program Application Period for 2020 Is Now Closed
The application period for Fall 2021 will begin in September 2020. Please check the Application Process page for updates that may affect your application.Read more