Orientation for Fall 2019 Incoming Professional Nursing Students
Congratulations on your admission into a Professional Nursing program. In the near future, you will face many nursing challenges. Until then, you face the following to-do list. It is subject to change, and you should check back periodically to ensure you have the latest instructions.
ACC Health Sciences programs use electronic documentation collection through CastleBranch. All students must upload clinical requirements to their CastleBranch account. A copy of your Texas Board of Nursing clearance card or letter should have already been turned into the Nursing office. If you have not completed this step, please do so immediately.
All other requirements including criminal background check and drug screen must be uploaded and/or ordered through your CastleBranch account by the deadlines indicated below. No exceptions. CastleBranch allows students to have lifetime access to their records and immunizations.
Print this page and use it as a checklist as you proceed through the Orientation process.
Criminal Background Check #1 - Texas Board of Nursing (TXBON) CBC
Deadline: July 12, 2019
This process should have been completed after submitting your application. You should have received an email from Cindy Gerardo or Lela Walker with complete instructions.
Criminal Background Check #2 - ACC Health Sciences CBC (HSCBC)
Order dates: May 15 – July 15
To order your Criminal Background Check:
- Go to castlebranch.com and click “Place Order.”
- In the “Package Code” field, enter one of the following codes. Be sure to use the program-specific code:
- UL32bg – Use if you are Traditional Track and do not have previous employment
- UL32emp – Use if you are Traditional Track and do have previous employment
- UL30bg – Use if you are Mobility Track and do not have previous employment
- UL30emp – Use if you are Mobility Track and do have previous employment
The cost of the CBC is about $50. ACC Health Sciences CBC (HSCBC) must come back “Clear” before permission will be given to register.
Students will receive clearance from the Nursing Department, via their ACC email, to register for classes once the department has received notification of their clearance from the Health Sciences Compliance Officer. A student checking their status via CastleBranch does not constitute clearance. The Compliance Officer from the Dean of Health Sciences Office will notify students directly who have any issues with their HSCBC.
The deadline to upload all clinical requirements is August 1, 2019.
To upload program-specific clinical requirements to CastleBranch:
- Sign in to your CastleBranch account and “Place Order.”
- In the “Package Code” field, enter the following codes for requirements:
Traditional Track Codes
- UL32im2A1 – Level 1 Phase 2 – Clinical Requirements documentation listed below.
- UL32im3 – Phase 3 – Student Reference Request, FERPA Release, and Release of Liability form (only due once)
- UL32im4 – Phase 4 – Flu Vaccine – Not due until mid October. Do not upload until instructed.
Mobility Track Codes
- UL30im2-M1 – Level 1 Phase 2 – Clinical Requirements documentation listed below.
- UL30im3 – Phase 3 – Student Reference Request, FERPA Release, and Release of Liability form (only due once)
- UL30im4 – Phase 4 – Flu Vaccine – Not due until mid October. Do not upload until instructed.
Phase 2: Clinical Requirements
Refer to CastleBranch Instructions above for package codes. The following clinical requirements must be completed and uploaded to your CastleBranch account by the deadline:
- Proof of Board of Nursing (BON) Eligibility – Please upload a copy of your BON blue card (front and back) or your BON eligibility letter.
- Nursing Student Information Form – Clinical (ADN-Traditional/Mobility/LVN)
- Complete the Google form. You will receive an email with your responses as confirmation. Please check your spam/junk file if the confirmation email is not located in your inbox.
- Upload that email to CastleBranch in its entirety to meet completion of this requirement.
- Health Data Form/Physical Form and Tuberculosis Requirement – All incoming students must have a physical and two-step TB or a TB Blood Assay blood test prior to starting the program.
- The Health Data Form and the Initial Program Tuberculosis (TB) Test must be completed and signed by a physician, physician’s assistant or nurse practitioner.
- A two-step TB test series requires that you have two separate TB tests completed 1 – 3 weeks apart from each other (requires four visits)
- If your TB skin test comes back positive, we will not accept a chest x-ray without you having a (Positive +) TB Blood Assay done first. Only if your TB Blood Assay test results come back positive (+) will you need to have a chest x-ray. Submit proof of your Positive TB Blood Assay along with a copy of your normal chest x-ray report as well as the Disease Screening Questionnaire.
- Tuberculosis – See Health Data Form/Physical & TB Requirement above.
- Health Insurance – Proof of health insurance for all health sciences students, consistent with the requirements of our clinical education partners, is required to be uploaded each semester by the posted deadline. With the increasing risks of providing patient care, it is necessary for you to be protected. This coverage is in addition to the accident insurance provided by the College. Proof of insurance must be uploaded each semester.
- Students must keep the policy current and notify the program if changes occur. Failure to do so will result in removal from the clinical site and withdrawal from the program because students will not be able to meet their learning objectives.
- Upload a copy (front and back) of your health insurance to your CastleBranch account. Coverage must cover the entire semester. If your insurance card does not show your name, you must also submit a copy of verification of eligibility from the insurance carrier showing you are covered under that policy.
- Click here to visit the ACC Health Sciences Health Insurance Information page.
- American Heart Association CPR Certification – You must be certified by the American Heart Association [AHA] Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers only. No other CPR certification will be accepted.
- If your CPR card expires before Dec. 15, 2019, you must get re-certified (re-do your CPR) prior to your paperwork submission deadline.
- Please refer to the Student Resources page for a list of approved sites for certification.
- HIPAA Certification – Complete the HIPAA training module, upload the confirmation email AND all 3 pages of the completed HIPAA Confidentiality & Security Agreement form (step 3 HIPAA requirement).
- Drug Screening Policy Student Signature Form – Refer to Step 3: Drug Screen below. Upload completed form found in CastleBranch.
- St. David’s HealthCare Requirements:
- St. David’s HealthCare Education Module – Complete the orientation and post test. Upload the confirmation email.
- St. David’s “My Commitment to Our Values statement – Complete the form and upload to CastleBranch.
- St. David’s Meditech Access Request Form and Confidentiality & Security Agreement – Complete all pages of the form and upload all pages to CastleBranch.
- St. David’s Statement of Responsibility – Complete the form and upload to CastleBranch.
- Seton Ascension Requirements:
- Complete the Seton Ascension Competency Module.
- Sign the Seton Ascension Competency Module completion form (available after successfully submitting test results).
- Seton Competencies Statement of Completion – Sign and upload to CastleBranch.
- Seton COMPASS Access Agreement for Students – Complete the bottom portion of the form and upload to CastleBranch.
- Fall 2019 Student Handbook signature page – Read the latest handbook, complete the signature page at the end of handbook, and upload document.
- Level 1 HESI Case Studies Access & Assessment Payment Receipt – All students are required to pay $80 through the ACC ADN Marketplace for their HESI Case Studies Access & Assessment fees every semester. A copy of your payment receipt must be uploaded to CastleBranch (all pages of receipt are required). The date of purchase will be verified on each receipt. Incoming Traditional Track Students will need to select the HESI – Cohort Levels 1-4. Once you add this to your cart, choose Level 1 as your Program Level. Mobility Track Students need to select HESI-Mobility. For students with vouchers, please upload a copy of your voucher for this requirement.
Phase 3: FERPA Release
Refer to CastleBranch Instructions above for package code. Please complete the Student Reference Request, FERPA Release, and Release of Liability form that is available to download here. Check each statement as appropriate, sign, and date at the bottom. Submit the completed form to CastleBranch.
Phase 4: Flu Vaccination
Not due until mid-October. Do not upload until instructed. More Information will be emailed to students after the semester begins.
Final Submission Instructions
Clinical Clearance tickets will be emailed to students’ ACC Gmail accounts upon verification of completed requirements. You must submit this ticket to your instructors the first week of school. Upload all Phase 2, 3 and 4 documents to CastleBranch. All students are required to pay $80 through the ACC ADN Marketplace for the HESI Access and Test each semester and upload a copy of their payment receipt to CastleBranch. The date of purchase will be verified on each receipt, so please pay a few days prior to the deadline date for each semester. Traditional Track Students may pay online for HESI Cohort Level 1 access/test by clicking here. Mobility Track Students may pay online for HESI Cohort Level 1 access/test by clicking here. For detailed instructions, see the Phase 2: Clinical Requirements list above.
You will NOT be emailed a clinical clearance ticket until ALL of your documents in CastleBranch have been approved and verified by the Nursing Department.
All drug screens must be ordered in CastleBranch and urine specimens submitted within the following timeframe: Fall Admissions August 1 – 7 ONLY
To order your drug screen:
- Go to castlebranch.com and click “Place Order.”
- In the “Package Code” field, enter UL32dt
- The cost of the Drug Screen is $27.00.
- Drug Screening Policy Student Signature Form – download the form from your To-Do List in CastleBranch, complete and upload with your Phase 2 requirements. The form will not be made available until you have paid for your drug screen. You may pay for and register for your drug screen now, but do not complete your drug screen outside of the timeframe listed above.
Drug Screens drawn prior to the posted time frame will be invalid and will be required to be redone at the cost of the student.
Use the following chart to determine when and where to show up for orientation. Please bring a sack lunch as well as paper and pen so you can take notes. You are not required to wear your uniforms to orientation. Please contact your instructors directly for scheduling issues.
|CEC||08-22-19||8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.||CEC C1.115 (subject to change)||Lela Walker
|EVC||08-22-19||8 a.m. – 4 p.m.||EVC 8362||Sheila Rodriguez
|Mobility||08-22-19||8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.||EVC 8223||Sheila Rodriguez
|RRC||08-22-19||8 a.m. – 4 p.m.||RRC 3336||Malanie Soliz
All Nursing students are required to comply with set uniform and instruction materials for both classroom, clinical and lab. Students will be required to purchase the following.
Lab Kit Information
The deadline for ordering your Fall 2019 lab kits is July 22, 2019. After this date, any kit ordered will be charged an additional $30 late fee and shipping delay service fee. Lab kits will be shipped to your assigned campus. You will receive your lab kit in the nursing skills lab on your first assigned class date. Be sure to order the correct lab kit for your assigned cohort. If you change cohorts after ordering your lab kit, it is the student’s responsibility to contact the vendor directly to update their purchase.
Click here to order your lab kit. Follow the instructions below:
The deadline for ordering your Fall 2019 lab kits is July 29, 2019. After this date, any kit ordered will be charged an additional $30 late fee and shipping delay service fee. Lab kits will be shipped to your assigned campus. You will receive your lab kit in the nursing skills lab on your first assigned class date. Be sure to order the correct lab kit for your assigned cohort. If you change cohorts after ordering your lab kit, it is the student’s responsibility to contact the vendor directly to update their purchase.
Clinical Uniform and Accessories
Deadline: August 22, 2019
You may order your uniform from Total Uniforms at either of their locations:
For more information about the uniforms, see the Dress Code section in the Professional Nursing Student Handbook. Estimated cost for two sets of scrubs and 2 school patches is approximately $75. A deposit of $40 is preferred at the time the order is placed.
You will be given an opportunity to buy gently used scrubs at orientation from the ADNSA. We cannot guarantee that your size will be available. In addition to your uniform, please purchase the following uniform accessories at any uniform or medical supply store:
- watch with a second hand
- pen light
- bandage scissors
- ball point pen (black ink only)
You may purchase the above equipment from any source, but if you wish to help support the ADNSA, feel free to make purchases from MDF Instruments.
To see the latest Associate Degree Nursing textbook list, click here
Students enrolled in a Nursing program should not rent their textbooks. Your Nursing textbooks will be used throughout the program, and it will be much cheaper in the long run to purchase your books. Refer to the Textbook List for package options. The packages are “built” specifically for our Nursing program, you will not be able to find a match searching by ISBN number. We do not recommend that students purchase the textbooks separately for this reason. There could be items included in the built packages that are not easily obtained individually. If you do decide to purchase your books outside of the packages offered through ACC’s bookstore, you will run the risk of not having all your required materials for class.
Deadline: August 26, 2019
Required EHR Tutor Software: Students must also purchase access to the EHR Tutor Software for Electronic Medical Records training. The access code can be purchased either through the ACC Bookstore or online at my.ehrtutor.com/signup. The cost is $65 for one year of access. Students are required to purchase this in Level 1 and again in Level 3. Click here to see the EHR Tutor Online Activation Instructions.
You are invited and encouraged to join the ADNSA (Student Nurse Association) for a onetime fee of $15. The ADNSA will be at orientation selling memberships, used scrubs, clipboards, t-shirts, and other great items! More information can be found on this page.
First and Second semester CEC students are required to park by the Erwin Center and walk across the street to CEC along with use of the HCG garage located on 15th and Red River. You will have information emailed to you about parking and forms that are needed for CEC students only. You need to print, fill out, and email all CEC-related forms to your CEC Administrator as requested. The CEC forms that will be emailed to you separately will not be uploaded to CastleBranch.
Search the Health Sciences Website
Professional Nursing Updates
Fall 2019 Professional Nursing Student Handbook Now Available
To see the latest Professional Nursing Student Handbook, click here.Read more
Being the voice patients need: A look inside ACC’s first bachelor’s degree program in nursing
Click here to read the story at the ACC Newsroom.Read more
Adopt a pet cared for by ACC vet tech students
Austin Community College is working with area animal shelters to find forever homes for pets who were trained and cared for by students in the Veterinary Technology Program. Click here to read the story at the ACC Newsroom.Read more