Does the AAS in Human Services transfer to any four-year colleges?

Yes, the degrees have the ability to transfer to a number of 4 year universities such as (note this is not an inclusive list) Texas State in the BAAS program, Park University in the BA – Social Psychology program; Texas A&M in the BAAS program; Excelsior in the BS in Social Sciences program; and Northwestern State, LA in the BS Addiction Studies, and Concordia University in the 3+1 program.  Many of our graduates continue their education at one of these universities.  For more information about transfer options, see a faculty member in the department.

How does the General Human Services degree differ from Social Work or Psychology?

Being workforce degrees/certificates, graduates have skills and knowledge that can be applied in the workplace. Our degree plans are beneficial for students who want to enter the helping professions quickly upon graduation. Human Services courses favor practice of skills, rather than theoretical foundations of human behavior and relations.

What is difference between the certificate in Addictions Counseling  and the Associates degree in Human Services/Addictions Counseling?

To become a LCDC a person must have an Associate’s degree or higher, therefore the AAS degree is required for students who do not yet have a degree.  Individuals with degrees but who wish to gain knowledge, skills and experience in addiction may find the certificate the best option.  For more details, contact the department.

Do the students get help in finding internships? Where are interns usually placed?

Yes, the internship supervisors help students find a placement based on the students’ areas of interest. Internship sites vary widely across area social services, mental health, medical, criminal justice, recreational and long-term-care facilities and agencies. Examples of recent placements include: Seton Hospital, Life Works, Austin Recovery, Renaissance Nursing home, Communities-in-Schools, and Safe Place.

Is there ever a time that the course pre-requisites are waived?

Yes, the most common reason for waiving the pre-requisite is so the student can take it concurrent with next course.

Are the courses offered on a particular timetable?

The Human Services courses are designed to allow the student to take their courses in a flexible manner. While some courses are offered once per year, many required courses are offered at least twice a year with some options for online coursework.

Can a student who works full-time during the day complete this program?

This is possible if the student has job flexibility. Courses can be arranged on a Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday only schedule each semester. Some but not all of our courses are offered in the late afternoon/early evening or online.

 Are there job opportunities in the field?

Yes. Almost all students who seek employment upon graduation find a job.

What is the salary range for entry-level graduates from this program?

Entry level positions start at $12-$15 per hour or $24,000-$30,000 per year.

Can someone with a criminal history be employed in the Human Services profession?

Yes, many students in the program have past criminal convictions.  It is important to meet with a member of the department to discuss this issue in more detail.  For individuals seeking a LCDC, the Health and Human Services has criminal history standards published in the LCDC handbook which can be found under the Helpful Links page.








Internship applications deadlines:  Spring – October 1.   Check with Dr. Shuler to see if you are ready for internship.

Ready to graduate?  Don’t miss the deadline of October 2 for December graduation.  Even if you do not plan to attend graduation, you must actually “graduate” from ACC.

Looking for a scholarship?  ACC has many scholarships available for students – check out www.austincc.edu/scholarships