New and former students under age 30 who will attend Austin Community College in spring 2012 can begin submitting their proof of meningitis vaccination or state exemption beginning Wednesday, December 14.
The college is implementing a process that allows students to submit their meningitis documents online for review and verification. Once the process begins, students will have approximately two weeks to provide their information via an online portal accessible on ACC’s Immunization Requirements webpage.
This new requirement follows a state law taking effect January 1, 2012, that requires college students to be immunized for meningitis before they can attend classes. They must show proof of an immunization received at least 10 days before the start of the semester or provide documentation of an approved exemption.
Students seeking exemption from the immunization requirement should note the following exemptions the law provides:
- Students who are 30 years of age or older
- Students who enrolled during the fall 2011 term and who maintain continual fall and spring term enrollment as long as they remain ACC students (note: the exception does not apply once an ACC student transfers to another college).
- Students who present affidavits signed by licensed physicians stating that the vaccination would be injurious to the health of the students.
- Students who present conscientious exemption forms from the Texas Department of State and Health Services stating the students decline the vaccination for reasons of conscience, including religious belief.
- Students who are enrolled in Continuing Education courses or corporate training programs that are less than 360 contact hours.
IMPORTANT: All documents are due no later than January 7 for students planning to start in the spring semester.Back to Top