Austin Community College congratulates the recipients of the following annual awards recognizing excellence in teaching and leadership.
“Each year we’re proud to honor these individuals for their outstanding contributions to the entire ACC community,” says ACC President/CEO Dr. Richard Rhodes. “Their dedication to their role is matched only by their commitment to our students’ success.”
Recipients will be honored atÂ the ACC awards dinner Thursday, April 2, at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Austin. Visit the Faculty Development website for details about the dinner and to purchase tickets.
ACC Teaching Excellence Award
Dr. Patty Collier, professor in the Physical Therapist Assistant Program, and Dr. Rodney E. Rohde, adjunct professor of biology, are recipients of ACC’s 2015 Teaching Excellence Award.
The Teaching Award honors one full-time and one adjunct faculty member who promote special learning opportunities, student interaction, and innovation. Recipients are nominated by faculty, staff, and students and are selected by an awards committee.
ACC Leadership Awards
ACC Leadership Award recipients are selected for their strong leadership and their willingness to go above and beyond their job duties in serving the ACC community. They are:
- Classified Employee of the Year: Sue Bloodsworth, administrative assistant III, Communications Department
- Professional-Technical Employee of the Year: Christina Michura, manager, faculty development
- Administrator of the Year: Gaye Lynn Scott, dean of social and behavioral sciences
- President’s Leadership Excellence Award Winner: Pamela W. Sutton, senior executive assistant to the president/CEO
NISOD Excellence Award
The following NISOD Excellence Award recipients were selected from the nominees for ACC teaching and leadership awards. NISOD (National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development) emphasizes the importance of teaching and leadership excellence in institutions of higher education. NISOD Award recipients will be recognized at the annual NISOD Conference in Austin in late May.
- Gabriel Arellano, assistant professor of physics
- William Bastas, professor of welding
- Sue Bloodsworth, administrative assistant III, Communications Department
- Marcellyn Champion, adjunct professor of government
- Elizabeth (Liz) Coccia, professor of psychology
- Kimberley Kelton, professor of math
- Elizabeth Kreisle, adjunct professor of developmental math
- Shyamal (Kumar) Mitra, adjunct professor of astronomy
- Christina Michura, manager, faculty development
- Rebecca Rebhorn, adjunct assistant professor of biologyGabriel Arellano,
Dr. Missi Patterson, professor of psychology, is ACC’s nominee for the 2015 Piper Professor award for outstanding achievement by a college faculty member in Texas.
Patterson began at ACC as an adjunct professor in 1999, and became a full-time faculty member in 2008. She also serves as Assistant Dean of Faculty Development and has helped launch ACC’s Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning.
Piper professor nominees are chosen for their effectiveness in dealing with students, as well as their activities and service outside the classroom.
Given by the Minnie Stevens Piper Foundation, the annual Piper Professor award is bestowed on only 10 professors statewide. Recipients of the Piper award, which includes a $5,000 honorarium, are named in the spring.
John and Suanne Roueche Excellence Award
The John & Suanne Roueche Excellence Award celebrates outstanding contributions and leadership by community college faculty and staff. Recipients are from institutions participating in the League for Innovation in the Community College and are recognized at several activities and events. Recipients are:
- Dr. Patricia Collier, professor, Physical Therapist Assistant Program, Teaching Excellence
- Dr. Missi Patterson, professor of psychology, Piper Professor Nominee
- Dr. Rodney E. Rohde, adjunct professor of biology, Teaching Excellence
- Dr. Gaye Lynn Scott, dean of social and behavioral sciences. Administrator of the Year
- Pamela W. Sutton, senior executive assistant to the president, President’s LeadershipÂ ExcellenceÂ Award
For more information about each of these awards and their criteria, visit ACC’s Awards & Recognition webpage.Back to Top