A message from the President/CEO and Police Chief:
Community colleges and universities across the nation have been watching the tragic events unfold at Umpqua Community College in Oregon. Austin Community College sends its heartfelt sympathy to UCC’s faculty, staff, students, and their families.
Safety is a top priority at ACC every day. The college is home to the third largest police department in Travis County. ACC Police coordinate regular training exercises with partner agencies throughout the district and they conduct emergency drills on campus every semester with staff, faculty, and students.
Please take a moment to make sure the college can communicate with you in case of emergency. Update your contact information on the ACC Emergency Alert webpage. You also are encouraged to follow ACC on Facebook and Twitter to receive timely, important information from the college.
Remember, if you see something, say something: Call 222 on campus or 512-223-7999 off campus.
The ACC Emergency Notification System allows the college to distribute critical information to you quickly, wherever you are located, during an emergency or impending threat. Depending on the level of emergency or threat, some or all of the components will be used to keep you informed. Features include:
- Email, Voicemail, and Text Messaging – Alerts are sent to your ACCmail account and to your cellphone through text and voicemail messages.
- Emergency Message Boards and PA Speakers – Electronic messaging boards in classrooms and hallways post messages and instructions in an emergency. Many are equipped with speakers to broadcast the message.
- Other PA Systems – ACC Police cars and some campus fire system panels have public-address capabilities.
- ACC Website and Emergency Webpage – The college posts emergency information on its homepage and emergency webpage.
- Facebook and Twitter – Emergency alerts and updates are shared via Facebook and Twitter.
- Help Desk Information Line – Call 512-223-INFO (4636) or 512-223-HELP (4357).
- Telecom – Emergency messages appear on screens of college IP phones.
- Emergency Telephones – Special red phones on each campus can be used if college IP phones are not working.
The college also uses the free mobile app In Case of Crisis – Education. New and updated emergency procedures plans are available through this app. You can find additional information online at austincc.edu/emergency-notifications.
Thank you for your help in making ACC campuses safe and secure for everyone.
Richard M. Rhodes, Ph.D. Lynn Dixon
ACC President/CEO ACC Police Chief
Back to Top