The Accounting Specialist is responsible for accurately processing accounts payable transactions, recording accounts receivable receipts, preparing bank deposits, and assisting with other financial tasks as needed in order to help the accounting team meet its critical deadlines. The Accounting Specialist is also responsible for maintaining organized, compliant accounting records and providing excellent customer service to all agency employees and vendors.
- Review and process accounts payable transactions, ensuring proper documentation and approvals are present.
- Review and process monthly employee mileage reimbursements. Ensure mileage reports are accurate and compliant, following up on any issues with appropriate individuals.
- Review, organize, and code credit card expenses. Proactively correspond with appropriate users to resolve any outstanding or missing items.
- Prepare bank deposits and record accounts receivable receipts.
- Maintain organized and compliant physical and electronic accounting files, including vendor files.
- Ensure all vendor information is current, accurate, and compliant. Prepare year-end 1099 forms.
- Assist with preparing and organizing required documentation for monthly contract billings as well documentation required for annual audits.
- Provide superior customer service to all agency employees and vendors regarding accounts payable and other financial related matters.
- Other assignments may be added as needed or required.
- Workforce development/training or college-level coursework in accounting, required; associate degree or higher in accounting or related area, preferred. High school diploma, GED or equivalent required.
- Minimum two years’ experience in an office environment with duties in accounts payable or general accounting, required. Workforce development/training or college-level coursework in accounting may substitute for a portion of the required experience. Non-profit accounting experience, preferred.
- Strong computer skills and experience using an automated accounting system. Experience using Abila MIP Fund Accounting, preferred.
- Positive attitude and customer-service oriented interpersonal skills.
- Excellent attention to detail, strong organizational skills, and demonstrated success meeting overlapping deadlines with frequent interruptions and competing priorities.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to effectively/clearly communicate.