LifeWorks is a nonprofit organization dedicated to being fearless advocates for youth and families seeking their path to self-sufficiency. We are committed to innovative problem solving, shared accountability, and a relentless focus on achieving real, sustainable, and measurable results for the clients we serve. Every member of our staff serves a meaningful purpose linked to our client's experience. Careers at LifeWorks offer opportunities for personal and professional growth and development while making an immediate difference in the lives of youth and families in our community.
LifeWorks is looking for a team of outgoing and enthusiastic Employment Specialists for our expanding Workforce Development Program! The Workforce Development Program utilizes the Individual Placement and Support (IPS) model of Supported Employment with young adults ages 16-26 who have experienced trauma. The Employment Specialist works with the client to promote recovery and wellness through placement and support in meaningful employment that aligns with the clients' preferences and strengths.
All clients served by this team will have a mental health diagnosis. Extensive research has shown that a job can promote recovery and wellness. The IPS model recognizes each person's strengths, talents, experiences, and abilities that will be valued in the workplace. It believes in an individual's personal choice and preferences for type of work, as well as their preferences for type of supports to find and keep a job.
The program uses a multidisciplinary team approach and will work in collaboration with other programs and community supports. Services are individualized and long-lasting with the ability to continue in the program regardless of the outcome of their last job or their previous job performance.
Our ideal candidate:
- Hopeful about every person's ability to succeed in employment.
- Open minded about helping people move into competitive jobs, regardless of active substance use disorders or mental health status.
- Believes that work can help improve wellness in people.
- Believes that people learn and grow from their experiences.
- Utilizes a strengths-based approach when serving clients by recognizing each person's skills, experiences, and values that support employment.
- Is self-directed and can work independently
- Works well in an interdisciplinary environment
The Employment Specialist conducts weekly employer contacts that are designed to learn about the needs of the business, describe supports offered by the program and describe client strengths that are relevant to the position. They provide education and support to employers as agreed upon by clients, which may include negotiating job accommodations and follow-along contact by the Employment Specialist with the employer.
- Assesses clients' vocational functioning on an ongoing basis utilizing background information and work experiences.
- Provides individualized follow-along supports to assist clients in maintaining employment.
- Writes job support plans with clients and incorporates input from larger client-centered team. Adjusts plan according to clients' needs and preferences.
- Participates in weekly meetings with team and communicates individually with team members between meetings in order to coordinate and integrate vocational services into other LifeWorks services. Meets with staff from across LifeWorks in order to provide coordinated wrap-around services.
- Conducts job development and job search activities directed toward positions that are individualized to the interests and uniqueness of the people on his/her caseload, following the principles and procedures of the IPS supported employment model.
- Conducts weekly employer contacts that are designed to learn about the needs of the business, describe supports offered by the program and describe client strengths that are relevant to the position. Provides education and support to employers as agreed upon by clients, which may include negotiating job accommodations and follow-along contact by the employment specialist with the employer.
- Provides timely interventions and outreach services as necessary to clients when they appear to disengage from services.
- Assists clients in obtaining information about their benefits (e.g., SSI, Medicaid, etc.) and how they will be affected by employment in order for clients to make good decisions about employment opportunities. Refers clients to benefits counseling, as needed. Helps clients report earnings, as needed.
- Provides training by engaging clients in collaborative relationships directed toward job readiness skills such as resume writing, interview skills, and presentation skills, accessing resources in the community, acquiring appropriate pre-employment skills, and long-term career planning and development.
- Develops an individual employment (and/or education) plan with clients. Incorporates input from team and/or family members, with permission.
- Develops relationships with employers by learning about their businesses, hiring needs, practices and hiring preferences.
- Utilizes good client interviewing skills in order to learn about individual preferences, past experiences, hopes and concerns regarding employment.
- Utilizes a strengths-based approach when serving clients by recognizing each person's skills and experiences.
- Spends 65% or more of scheduled work hours in the community meeting with clients and potential employers.
- Transports clients around in the community, on occasion, to job interviews, job shadowing opportunities, and to work.
- Provides supported education, using principles of supported employment, for clients who express interest in education to advance their employment goals.
- Maintains documentation in accordance with agency and program requirements.
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in mental health, social services, or business;
- Requires 3 years related experience with youth and young adults, preferably in employment services; or
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have reliable transportation and a Texas Driver's license in good standing.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.