LifeWorks is a nonprofit organization dedicated to being fearless advocates for youth and families seeking their path to self-sufficiency. We are committed to innovative problem solving, shared accountability, and a relentless focus on achieving real, sustainable, and measurable results for the clients we serve. Every member of our staff serves a meaningful purpose linked to our client's experience. Careers at LifeWorks offer opportunities for personal and professional growth and development while making an immediate difference in the lives of youth and families in our community.
LifeWorks is looking for an Outreach Specialist for our Street Outreach team! The Street Outreach Program provides outreach services to youth and young adults, generally ages 18-26, who are experiencing homelessness. The Outreach Specialist will proactively seek out youth experiencing homelessness and extend services in a mobile unit. The Outreach Specialist will also build trusting relationships with individuals and families that are not being served or are underserved by existing community service delivery systems through outreach, engagement, and support services. Services provided will also include group facilitation, individual mentorship, community collaboration, and the provision of basic needs services, referrals, and crisis intervention.
Our ideal candidate will have in-depth knowledge of street culture, youth aging out of foster care, as well as substance abuse and mental health issues. The ideal candidate must be comfortable maintaining schedule flexibility and building rapport with clients while maintaining solid boundaries.
- Make contact with new youth on a weekly basis by researching and resourcing target areas where youth are living or congregating. Track locations and services provided to improve services and identify patterns and trends.
- Distribute outreach supplies including but not limited to wound care supplies, hygiene supplies, blankets, and socks.
- Assists youth experiencing homelessness with accessing resources and making referrals.
- Assist with completing applications for services, transporting them to shelters, services, and other points as needed.
- Assists with planning, developing, and providing community-based outreach to identify and engage with homeless, runaway, and street youth.
- Advocates for clients within the community as well as internally in order to ensure that client needs are being recognized, represented, and addressed.
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with agency staff and community contacts such as referral sources and service providers.
- Effectively manage crisis situations through assessing, deciding, and acting in accordance with standards and laws in emergency situations involving the health and safety of client being compromised.
- Respects and value all youth and people experiencing homelessness, regardless of circumstances, behavior or needs.
- Prepares documentation of plans and activities to ensure compliance with contracts and agency requirements.
- Assesses and documents client progress toward self-sufficiency goals.
- Provide transportation to appointments as necessary.
- Requires a GED or HS diploma.
- Preferred at least 1 year of related experience with at-risk youth or community-based outreach.
- Required to possess or be able to obtain a valid Texas driver's license within 30 days.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.