SmartKids is an innovative partnership between Communities in Schools of Central Texas and the Housing Authority of the City of Austin that supports students living in public housing in their journey to economic self-sufficiency through school-based and property-based educational, enrichment, and case management services.
Communities In Schools of Central Texas is seeking three qualified SmartKids Coordinators to provide case management and student support services to students at Lively Middle School, Becker Elementary Schooland Oak Springs Elementary School and provide after-school programming at public housing sites in Austin, Texas.
- A bachelors degree in social work, human services or related field. A minimum of two (2) years of professional experience working directly with youth living in public housing communities may substitute for a degree.
- At minimum of two (2) years of professional experience working with youth in school-based setting or planning and facilitating after-school activities
- Experience working with parents and families, direct service delivery, and collaborating with community agencies
- Access to reliable transportation is required
- English/Spanish speaking ability is strongly preferred
- Plan, coordinate, and deliver on-site service-learning programs, enrichment activities, recreational activities, family events, special events and occasional field trips for students living in public housing
- Provide school-based case management for designated students
- Coordinate the on-site service delivery team of AmeriCorps members, interns and volunteers
- Establish and maintain a positive relationship with campus CIS staff, housing authority personnel and other involved parties
- Communicate and coordinate with community partners as appropriate
- Prepare and submit regular and timely reports as required by funders, supervisor or Program Director
- Participate in the CIS team approach to service delivery and problem solving
- Promote and maintain CIS culture, standards, and systems
Specific Job Competencies
Demonstrate agency core competencies and
Direct Service Skills
- Assess client needs and strengths with accuracy
- Plan, implement and evaluate effective interventions and service plans
- Use effective therapeutic communication skills (active listening, open-ended questions, non-judgmental, client-centered, empathy, conflict resolution, de-escalation)
- Maintain professional boundaries and awareness of personal values
- Seek out professional consultation and supervision
- Understand the purpose of communication and use appropriate method of communication for the situation
- Use clear and specific language utilizing “I” statements
- Display active listening skills (e.g., reflecting, body language, asking for clarification, etc.)
- Respond to phone and email messages in a timely manner
- Use discretion when sharing information
- Establish a system for information sharing and follow-up
Teaching and Training Skills
- Create an atmosphere of shared learning through opportunities for participation, questioning, and sharing of personal experiences
- Employ a variety of creative and diverse techniques suitable for audience to support learning goals
- Incorporate a process of feedback to evaluate effectiveness
- Create clear objectives and expectations
- Demonstrate electronic document work flow skills such as document creation, file saving, file copying, making duplicates or backup copies, file downloading file naming and locating files using windows explorer.
- Demonstrate ability to formulate appropriate questions to seek out technical support in a timely manner.
- Strategies to retain technical information as relevant to job function, such as the ability to recall technical instructions, policies and procedures.
- Ability to anticipate and respond to technical needs based upon work environment and changing staff needs at local offices, such as requesting more or different computer equipment, software or IT solutions.
Reporting Structure: These positions are supervised by the CIS Program Manager on the assigned campus.
Online applications will be accepted for this position until 5:00 pm on Sunday, August 18, 2019.