LifeWorks is a nonprofit organization dedicated to being fearless advocates for youth and families seeking their path to self-sufficiency. We are committed to innovative problem solving, shared accountability, and a relentless focus on achieving real, sustainable, and measurable results for the clients we serve. Every member of our staff serves a meaningful purpose linked to our client's experience. Careers at LifeWorks offer opportunities for personal and professional growth and development while making an immediate difference in the lives of youth and families in our community.
LifeWorks is searching for Relief (as-needed) Youth Care Worker Is who are looking for an opportunity to work in a rewarding and challenging housing environment with at-risk young adults in our Permanency through Outreach and Rapid Transitions (PORT) and Emergency Shelter programs! Our expectation of Relief staff are that they work at least two shifts per month.
The PORT program is a 15-bed transitional housing program for youth and young adults ages 18-24 in Travis County. Clients will have a short-term stay while they transition from homelessness to permanent housing through our Rapid Rehousing program. The Emergency Shelter program has the capacity to serve 20 youth ages 14-17 and older foster youth in emergency need of a safe place to stay for weeks or months, depending on need, and are provided comprehensive case management services with an emphasis on moving them towards stability.
The Youth Care Worker I is responsible for providing care and services to youth and young adults during their stay in our housing programs. Services provided include monitoring, supervising, transporting, and meeting basic needs of youth and young adults in a way that positively supports their development as well as their individual goals. Our services are client-driven and strengths-based to support our mission of empowering self-sufficiency.
Our goal is the development of caring relationships with the young men and women who pass through our doors because it has the potential to make a positive difference in their futures. Our ideal candidate is compassionate, flexible, a good multi-tasker and communicator who is dependable and able to work alone or in a team.
- Supervises clients within facility and ensures a safe environment is maintained by completing regular perimeter walks, room checks, facility/room searches, and ongoing visual checks of facility.
- Assists clients with their day-to-day needs including occasional meal preparation, assistance with case management activities, transportation, cleaning activities, and administers daily medications.
- Ensures facility cleanliness and maintenance is within licensing standards including light cleaning in common and staff areas as well as in the kitchen.
- Documents and maintains daily written records of client whereabouts and incidents and communicates information with team members while maintaining client confidentiality in accordance with state and federal laws.
- Transports clients and/or helps organize transportation arrangements for clients to a variety of outings including staff-led community-based activities.
- Consistently interacts with youth using LifeWorks' client-focused and strengths-based approaches. Includes supporting day to day activities of youth and relating to clients as they move toward their individual goals while maintaining professional boundaries.
- Manages emotional, physical, and verbally escalated situations by initiating de-escalation techniques as well as restraints utilizing Handle with Care techniques when necessary.
- Requires a high school diploma, GED or equivalent;
- Requires 1 year of related experience; or
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- May require some vocational training.
- Per DFPS requirements must be 21 or older.
- Bachelor's degree preferably in human services field and
- 2+ years related experience with at-risk youth.
- Bilingual English/Spanish.
- Microsoft Office proficiency.
- CPR certification.
Must be available to complete pre-employment drug screening, background checks and TB Test before start date.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.