LifeWorks is a nonprofit organization dedicated to being fearless advocates for youth and families seeking their path to self-sufficiency. We are committed to innovative problem solving, shared accountability, and a relentless focus on achieving real, sustainable, and measurable results for the clients we serve. Every member of our staff serves a meaningful purpose linked to our client's experience. Careers at LifeWorks offer opportunities for personal and professional growth and development while making an immediate difference in the lives of youth and families in our community.
LifeWorks is searching for a Youth Care Worker I who is looking for an opportunity to work in a rewarding and challenging residential environment with transition-age youth. This position is responsible for providing care and services to youth living in a 24-hour residential facility. Services provided include monitoring, supervising, transporting, and meeting basic needs of youth in a way that positively supports their development as well as their individual goals. This position is at our EMERGENCY SHELTER.
Schedule: Saturdays & Sundays, 7am to 3pm or 8am to 4pm
LifeWorks Emergency Shelter provides housing, case management and educational support for up to 20 teenagers (ages 14-17) and older foster youth in emergency need of a safe place to stay. Strength-based services are provided on-site 24/7. Youth stay weeks or months, depending on need, and are provided comprehensive case management services, with an emphasis on moving them towards stability. The Emergency Shelter works closely with other programs within LifeWorks and the community to provide youth the tools they need to reach self-sufficiency.
We foster social competence, resourcefulness, autonomy, and a sense of purpose in the clients we serve by developing caring relationships that are trusting, compassionate, and respectful; by having high expectations that are explicitly communicated and adequately supported, and by providing meaningful opportunities to engage in family, school, community, and civic activities.
- Supervises clients within facility and ensures a safe environment is maintained by completing regular perimeter walks, room checks, facility/room searches, and ongoing visual checks of facility.
- Assists clients with their day-to-day needs including occasional meal preparation, assistance with case management activities, transportation, cleaning activities, and administers daily medications.
- Ensures facility cleanliness and maintenance is within licensing standards including light cleaning in common and staff areas as well as in the kitchen.
- Documents and maintains daily written records of client whereabouts and incidents and communicates information with team members while maintaining client confidentiality in accordance with state and federal laws.
- Transports clients and/or helps organize transportation arrangements for clients to a variety of outings including staff-led community-based activities.
- Consistently interacts with youth using LifeWorks' client-focused and strengths-based approaches. Includes supporting day to day activities of youth and relating to clients as they move toward their individual goals while maintaining professional boundaries.
- Manages emotional, physical, and verbally escalated situations by initiating de-escalation techniques as well as restraints utilizing Handle with Care techniques when necessary.
- Requires a high school diploma, GED or equivalent and 1 year of related experience; and
- Requires 1 year of related experience; or
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Preferred Bachelor's degree in human services or behavioral sciences.
- Preferred Bilingual Spanish/English.
- May require some vocational training.
- Per DFPS requirements must be 21 or older.
Must successfully complete pre-employment background checks, including drug screening, before start date.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.