We held our first Women in IT Fall 2018 Speaker Series event on October 10th. It was a wonderful opportunity for women interested in a career in Computer Science and Information Technology to hear from former ACC CSIT students.
Our three outstanding panelists were:
Biata Ofer, a Network Engineer, had a background in mechanical engineering and project management before attending ACC to pursue a career in networking.
Patricia Schutter transferred from ACC to Texas State University. She is majoring in Applied Mathematics with a minor in Computer Science. She plans to pursue a career in data mining.
Casandra Silva, a Senior Digital Analyst at McKinsey & Co. in NYC, joined the discussion by Skype. She started out in the liberal arts/non-profit sector. Her career switch into the tech field began at Austin Community College.
10 valuable pieces of advice they shared:
- There will be times when you will [doubt yourself]. Keep at it!
- You are intelligent, capable women. Whatever you don’t know today, you will learn.
- Keep pushing at it. Don’t be afraid to apply for jobs.
- Find your community.
- You don’t have to blend in or prove yourself any more than others just because you are a woman.
- Don’t be afraid to fail.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
- Find someone who will support you in your journey.
- Keep asking questions.
- Be confident in what you know and know what you know.
Don’t miss our next Women in IT Fall 2018 Speaker Series event on November 8th. Register here