With the start of the 1980 fall semester, Austin Community College became the primary provider of nurses’ training in Austin. Following the recommendation of a blue-ribbon panel, Brackenridge Hospital discontinued its School of Nursing, which had been supplying the Austin area with most of its nurses since 1915. ACC absorbed the entire program. Following a national trend, ACC’s Allied Health Sciences were two-year rather than three-year programs. President Cecil Groves planned to ask the Legislature for special funding for a new ACC Health Sciences center.