Faculty Spotlight: Nick Landis

Join Nick for these courses at ACC.
MUSC 1325 Acoustics
MUSC 1271 Applied Recording/Live Sound
MASTERING
First off, I’m a Mastering Engineer, technically I’m Chief Mastering Engineer at Nick Landis Mastering. Previously, I was the Senior Mastering Engineer at Terra Nova Digital Audio, Inc. I’ve worked on over 4,500 albums in my role helping musicians finish the last creative step in making an album and the first technical step in manufacturing and/or distributing that album to their fans. I am humbled by each and every client that trusts me with their music and allows me to guide them through this process.
WEB DEVELOPMENT
Secondly, I do web stuff as a freelancer. I say ‘web stuff’ since its a bunch of things I do in this space, like building websites or helping clients setup hosting. Primarily I work with a content management system called Drupal. I’ve been working with Drupal since 2010 and built my own website with it. I help other people get websites that do what they need to do without breaking the bank on hiring someone to do everything for them. By building tools that a client needs and showing them how to use those tools themselves makes a website within reach of almost any budget. I work by myself for most smaller projects and I also get work on larger sites through some agencies that I contract through. Those agencies are Multimedia Partners and Umbrella Media among others. For me, the Drupal community has been awesome and it is one of the main reasons I decided to work primarily with this technology.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS
Next, I’ll talk about some of my professional affiliations and leadership opportunities. First is the Audio Engineering Society. Currently, I am the Chair of the Central Texas Section of the AES. Last term I was co-chair. Previously, I was involved in college with the Texas State Student Section and was elected Vice President for the year I was involved as a student. That section had dissolved under lack of attention and I was part of the effort to restart the student organization. Second is The Recording Academy. They started a special university-student program called Grammy U for students seeking careers in the music industry so I joined. Within a year, I qualified for full voting member status and continued to become the first Grammy U member elected to the Board of Governors. I served two terms consecutively from 2009 to 2013 and another term from 2014 to 2016. During that time, I was also elected as the chapter’s Vice President for the 2012-13 term. The third is The Texas Wesley Foundation Board of Trustees. The year I was brought on, they began a building project. I was asked to join for my expertise in the audio sector to help in building the worship and performance spaces. In the second year, I was elected Treasurer and continue my service while we build a 17-story mixed-use building in Austin’s west campus area.
EDUCATION
Fourth on this list are my activities having to do with education. Currently, I am adjunct faculty at Austin Community College in the Music Business Production & Technology department. My class is a physics lecture on audio-frequency acoustics. I frequently guest lecture for Texas State University and Austin Community College. Also, I have previously lectured at various other educational institutions like Mediatech Institute and The Recording Conservatory of Austin. Other than just one-day guest lectures, I have taught as a Visiting Assistant Professor at Texas State University in the Sound Recording Technology program of which I am an alumnus.
Photo credit: Nick Landis

You May Also Like…

ACC Hosts Event for the Austin Empty Bowl Project

The ACC Art Department hosted a bowl-painting party on October 27 in the Ceramics Studio for faculty and staff to decorate bowls to be glazed, fired, and donated to the 27th Annual Austin Empty Bowl Project. The Austin Empty Bowl Project is an effort by area potters...

Congrats to The Winners of the Viscom DESIGN-A-THON

Viscom kicked off November with a DESIGN-A-THON, in which four teams of Viscom students had a little less than eight hours to research, ideate, design, and implement a solution to the prompt “how might we help ACC students without transportation get to ACC campuses so...

Dance Welcomes Two New Faculty Members

Please join us in welcoming two new Dance Adjunct Faculty: Jonathan Pattiwael and Sanchita Sharma! Jonathan Pattiwael (they-he-dia), born in Bandung, Indonesia is a dance performer, choreographer and teacher based in Austin, Texas. An Assistant Professor of Dance at...