MBPT Student Profile – Ali Darwiche

After graduating from the University of Texas at Austin, I began taking classes at ACC while pursuing a full-time career in Software Development. As a working adult, I feared that my pursuit of a music-based education would always be hindered by my 9-5 job. When I learned about the night classes and high-quality facilities that ACC had to offer, I was filled with immense joy. For years I had been deeply unsatisfied while pursuing my career in Software Development. At ACC however, I quickly found a community of amazing mentors and peers who supported my growth and were invested in my fulfillment as a musician.
Through my coursework, I was able to meet and collaborate with students of all ages, backgrounds, and musical abilities. Eventually, I developed a strong enough network of individuals that I was able to produce my dream project; a 13-track studio album called “Appreciate Everything”. I was able to release this project on my 27th birthday and it has since raised over $1,500 for SAFE Alliance, a local non-profit that offers services to survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence here in the Austin area. This project took me a total of 10 years to complete, but was only made possible by the relationships, courses, and resources that were available to me here at ACC. Those who would like to donate or learn more about my project can visit alidarwiche.com for more details.
After years of being a part-time student, I finally decided to pursue a full-time education in Audio Engineering this past year. Though it was terrifying to leave my career as a Software Developer to go back to school, the MBPT department has made it an incredibly easy transition for me. I truly feel blessed every day I get to come to campus and learn from this incredible faculty.
I don’t know who I’d be without this beautiful community in my life. The one thing I can say with confidence is that I would be a much more sad and lonely individual without it. Thank you, ACC, for being the best decision I’ve ever made.
Photo credit: Ali Darwiche

You May Also Like…

ACC Hosts Event for the Austin Empty Bowl Project

The ACC Art Department hosted a bowl-painting party on October 27 in the Ceramics Studio for faculty and staff to decorate bowls to be glazed, fired, and donated to the 27th Annual Austin Empty Bowl Project. The Austin Empty Bowl Project is an effort by area potters...

Congrats to The Winners of the Viscom DESIGN-A-THON

Viscom kicked off November with a DESIGN-A-THON, in which four teams of Viscom students had a little less than eight hours to research, ideate, design, and implement a solution to the prompt “how might we help ACC students without transportation get to ACC campuses so...

Dance Welcomes Two New Faculty Members

Please join us in welcoming two new Dance Adjunct Faculty: Jonathan Pattiwael and Sanchita Sharma! Jonathan Pattiwael (they-he-dia), born in Bandung, Indonesia is a dance performer, choreographer and teacher based in Austin, Texas. An Assistant Professor of Dance at...