ACC DRAMA AAS Degree Student Spotlight Frederick Demps

FULL STUDENT SPOTLIGHT INTERVIEW

INTERVIEW BY JAMIE ROGERS

Where are you from?  Austin, Texas 

Were you involved in theater when you were in high school? Any past theater experience on stage or behind the scenes? 

Yes, I was involved in theater for all 4 years of high school . I have also been an actor in a few shows but mostly work behind the scenes.

Why did you decide to pursue a career in Technical Theater?  

I chose theater because I really love to work on new plays and seeing it come to life.

Can you tell us a bit about your design process? Scenic? Lighting?

For me when it comes to my design process, I like to make many different looks for it while thinking about restrictions for it, or in many different styles, and take my favorite looks from each. 

What were the reasons you decided to enroll in the AAS Degree program at Austin Community College? 

I had heard good things about the program and it is close to home.

Any favorite classes in the Drama Department and why? Important things you have learned so far?

So far, my favorite class was Stagecraft because I was able to be a part of some of the set building of a few shows and I was able to work closely with my friends. 

What are some of the Austin Theaters you have been working with this past year? What have been your duties? 

The theater that I have done the most work at is the Vortex  and my duties have been to assist in the construction of shows. 

Do you attend school and have outside employment? If so, how do you find a balance between work and drama department involvement? 

Yes, I get around it! I am an early bird and will get most of my class work done in the morning and then work in the evening. 

Any overall advice to give to current Drama Majors on ways to get them involved in the Department? 

Just ask, you would be very surprised how far you can get in life if you just ask.

What does the future hold? Hopefully many new theater opportunities!

— Photo Credit Frederick Demps

You May Also Like…

TAG Tuesdays Wraps for Fall 2022

TAG Tuesdays Wraps for Fall 2022

TAG Tuesdays Wraps for Fall 2022 The Art Galleries at Austin Community College launched their TAG Tuesday program in Fall 2022. Based on the foundation that art acts as a vehicle for open discussion, TAG Tuesdays bring together ACC students, faculty, staff, and...

ACC Drama Faculty Spotlight Yunina Barbour-Payne

FULL FACULTY SPOTLIGHT INTERVIEW INTERVIEW BY JAMIE ROGERS Where are you from? What is your educational background? I am originally from Louisivlle, Kentucky. I attended the Youth Performing Arts School in highschool and then pursued an Integrated Studies degree from...

Coming in October: Flex Factory

Coming in October: Flex Factory

MBPT will be hosting an open mic for all ADM students every Friday from noon-3pm. The official launch date will be Friday, October 7th.The location will be in the Flex Studio, room 1420 (Bldg.2000), and will be dubbed the "Flex Factory". Live Sound students, along...