ACC DRAMA AAS Degree Student Spotlight Frederick Demps

FULL STUDENT SPOTLIGHT INTERVIEW

INTERVIEW BY JAMIE ROGERS

Where are you from?  Austin, Texas 

Were you involved in theater when you were in high school? Any past theater experience on stage or behind the scenes? 

Yes, I was involved in theater for all 4 years of high school . I have also been an actor in a few shows but mostly work behind the scenes.

Why did you decide to pursue a career in Technical Theater?  

I chose theater because I really love to work on new plays and seeing it come to life.

Can you tell us a bit about your design process? Scenic? Lighting?

For me when it comes to my design process, I like to make many different looks for it while thinking about restrictions for it, or in many different styles, and take my favorite looks from each. 

What were the reasons you decided to enroll in the AAS Degree program at Austin Community College? 

I had heard good things about the program and it is close to home.

Any favorite classes in the Drama Department and why? Important things you have learned so far?

So far, my favorite class was Stagecraft because I was able to be a part of some of the set building of a few shows and I was able to work closely with my friends. 

What are some of the Austin Theaters you have been working with this past year? What have been your duties? 

The theater that I have done the most work at is the Vortex  and my duties have been to assist in the construction of shows. 

Do you attend school and have outside employment? If so, how do you find a balance between work and drama department involvement? 

Yes, I get around it! I am an early bird and will get most of my class work done in the morning and then work in the evening. 

Any overall advice to give to current Drama Majors on ways to get them involved in the Department? 

Just ask, you would be very surprised how far you can get in life if you just ask.

What does the future hold? Hopefully many new theater opportunities!

— Photo Credit Frederick Demps

You May Also Like…

ACC Hosts Event for the Austin Empty Bowl Project

The ACC Art Department hosted a bowl-painting party on October 27 in the Ceramics Studio for faculty and staff to decorate bowls to be glazed, fired, and donated to the 27th Annual Austin Empty Bowl Project. The Austin Empty Bowl Project is an effort by area potters...

Congrats to The Winners of the Viscom DESIGN-A-THON

Viscom kicked off November with a DESIGN-A-THON, in which four teams of Viscom students had a little less than eight hours to research, ideate, design, and implement a solution to the prompt “how might we help ACC students without transportation get to ACC campuses so...

Dance Welcomes Two New Faculty Members

Please join us in welcoming two new Dance Adjunct Faculty: Jonathan Pattiwael and Sanchita Sharma! Jonathan Pattiwael (they-he-dia), born in Bandung, Indonesia is a dance performer, choreographer and teacher based in Austin, Texas. An Assistant Professor of Dance at...