Opportunities & Events
We’re big on community here, both in the classroom and out. Each year, we put on readings and panels that feature a diverse range of contemporary writers who have something important to say. We feel that a vital part of developing as a writer is socializing with other writers and sharing your work in a supportive and welcoming environment. To those ends, we’ve partnered with Malvern Books to create an event series called the Literary Coffeehouse, which take place once a month during the Fall and Spring semesters. For each Coffeehouse, we bring in an established writer to wow us with their work and follow with an open-mic reading. It’s our mission to provide you with opportunities to engage with Austin’s vibrant literary community.
The Rio Review
The Rio Review is ACC’s Student Literary and Arts Journal. The journal showcases some of the best of ACC’s creative student work and features poetry, prose, nonfiction, and art. Submission is open to all ACC students. The Rio Review is published in the Spring and Fall each year by student editors. To become an editor, you may enroll in the Academic Coop (ENGL 2389). This is a capstone class for Creative Writing majors designed to teach students the editorial process of designing a literary publication.
We believe Creative Writing at ACC is for everyone, regardless of financial status. To help cover the cost of tuition and books, we offer annual scholarships in the Fall and Spring. If you meet the following criteria and are concerned about the cost of our classes, please consider applying for our $500 Fall/Spring Scholarship. The deadlines are October 1st and March 1st, respectively.
- Overall 2.75 GPA and 3.0 GPA in English 1301, English 2307, English 2341
- 15 hours of completed ACC coursework
- Successfully completed English Comp. I (ENGL 1301)
- Completed at least one ACC creative writing class (English 2307 or English 2341)
- Fall Scholarship Application: October 1
- Spring Scholarship Application: March 1
- Attach a cover letter – this is your opportunity to expand on your ambitions as a creative writer and describe what you hope to achieve at ACC and beyond (limit 750 words)
- Include a creative writing sample (one prose piece, five to ten pages of screenplay or play, or three poems; limit 3,000 words).
For the Creative Writing scholarship, please visit: https://austincc.academicworks.com/opportunities/5556
For all scholarship opportunities, please visit: https://austincc.academicworks.com