Welcome back Riverbats!
I hope your 2019 has gotten to a good start. This is the time where gyms are full, and our minds filled with possibilities for this new year. New Year resolutions are often broken, but it’s good to set some goals to give you some motivation throughout the year.
For example, here are my 2019 financial goals:
- Not buying any makeup or skincare that I do not need.
- Save 20% of my paycheck every month.
- Beef up my emergency fund by 20% at least by the end of the year.
Your financial goals should generally be something you not only think you can achieve but want to achieve. Make a commitment to check in with yourself every month and see how you’re doing. You will not be perfect all the time, and that’s okay! We are humans and humans make mistakes. What’s important here is that you don’t lose focus to get to your ultimate goal.
Here’s a list of potential financial goals you can set for yourself:
- Improve credit score. Check out our guide here to start repairing your credit!
- Start and follow a budget. Use out monthly or semester-based budgeting tools to get started.
- Get out of credit card debt.
- Build an emergency fund. You can sign up for our Rainy Day Savings Program here–we help you save!
- Open a Roth IRA.
- Eat out less.
Whatever your financial goals are, big or small, you can make 2019 the year you get your financials on track.