Austin Community College is looking to fill some very big shoes – the yellow and green high-tops of ACC’s Riverbat mascot, to be exact. The college will host mascot tryouts Saturday, April 21, beginning at 10 a.m. at Riverside Campus (1020 Grove Blvd., Building G, Room 8100).
“The way students and the community respond to the Riverbat is amazing,” says Dahlia Anzaldua-Torres, the college event coordinator, who oversees the mascot. “It’s been a great year, and we are looking for enthusiastic students who can help us raise the bar even higher.”
Mascot candidates must be in good standing at the college and registered for classes in the current semester. As part of the audition, candidates will perform a prepared 3-5 minute routine in a generic mascot costume (provided at tryouts) as well as an improvised skit; there also will be an interview. Winning candidates will perform as the college’s official mascot at events throughout the 2012-13 academic year. Click here for more details on mascot tryouts.
Since making his debut in fall 2010, the Riverbat – named R.B. Bbhoggawact – has represented ACC at a variety of college and community events, including:
- TOP student orientation sessions
- Pro sports games with the Texas Stars and Austin Toros
- ACC special events, such as Dia de la Familia, Carnival ah!, the ACC Car Show, the Hispanic Student Reception, and Black Student Reception
- Student Life events, such as “Harry Potter,” “Breaking Dawn,” and Â “Kung Fu Panda” openings, a Blazer Tag showdown, and his own Riverbat Bash
- Community events, like the Round Rock Bat Fest, St. James Missions 5k, the Elgin Hogeye Festival, Dripping Springs Youth Baseball Tournament, and the Austin Bat Fest/Night of the Bat
Want more mascot? Check out R.B.’s Facebook page, or visit austincc.edu/riverbat to find out about upcoming appearances, learn about the history of ACC’s mascot search, and purchase Riverbat gear. Proceeds from Riverbat merchandise sales help support student scholarships.