When teenagers in foster care graduate from high school, they often leave their foster residences with their belongings and nothing in which to carry them. Each year, ACC collects new luggage and contributions toward the purchase of luggage to assist them, and also provides the students with a care package to let them know they are not alone.
“Often times, foster care alumni leave their temporary home carrying their only possessions in a trash bag or pillowcase,” says Loretta Edelen, director of community outreach. “A new piece of luggage goes a long way as they get ready to transition into adulthood.”
Donations are encouraged by May 6. Additional donations will be accepted through the spring semester. Luggage can be delivered to representatives at each campus; financial contributions are accepted at online through ACC Marketplace.
For more information, contact a campus representative:
- Eastview: Marshall at 512-223-5197 or Angelica at 512-223-5214
- Cypress: Dawn at 512-223-2103
- Northridge: Lee at 512-223-4877
- Pinnacle: Joyce at 512-8111
- Rio Grande: Rosalind at 512-223-3150
- Riverside: Chris at 512-223-6203
- Round Rock: Jamie at 512-223-0040
- South Austin: Margie at 512-223-9164
- Highland Campus: Kathy at 512-223-7327
- Workforce Solutions: Bette at 512-381-4233
To learn about one ACC foster student graduate who created her own bright future click here: Nikole Steffan.
Back to Top