Canned good donations will be accepted at every campus
The Austin Community College District is assisting relief efforts for victims of the Central Texas flooding that occurred Memorial Day weekend.
“It is difficult to watch our community experiencing such extreme loss,” says Dr. Virginia Fraire, ACC vice president of student services. “It’s in moments like these that we need to come together.”
ACC’s Enrollment Management Office will collect canned goods and items for flood victims. The most needed items for disaster relief are:
- High-protein canned meals with pop-top cans (ravioli, soups, spaghetti)
- Paper goods and products (paper towels/plates/cups/napkins, plastic utensils)
- Single-serving meals that do not require refrigeration or cooking/meals ready to eat
- Single-serving snacks such as raisins & granola bars
- Peanut butter
- Disinfectant wipes
Donations for pets also will be accepted including:
- Large dog leashes
- Puzzle toys
- Peanut butter
- Meaty treats
- Paper towels
Donations will be accepted at all ACC campuses. Look for marked boxes in the campus manager’s office. For more information call 512-223-7701. The first delivery is scheduled for Friday, May 29. A second delivery is scheduled for Friday, June 5.
ACC faculty and staff interested in donating their time to volunteer in relief efforts may contact the American Red Cross, which is mobilizing volunteers, vehicles, food, and relief supplies to help those impacted by the storms. Training is available through the local chapter. More information is available at: redcross.org/tx/austin/volunteer.
Students affected by the Memorial Day floods may contact any campus Support Center. The college’s Student Emergency Fund, a resource for qualifying students who encounter an unforeseen financial emergency or catastrophic event which would otherwise prevent them from continuing their education at ACC, is available to help those directly impacted by the floods.
ACC has learned of the following additional community resources and relief efforts for flood victims:
- Red Cross Disaster Relief: Donate by check or in person at the American Red Cross of Central Texas (2218 Pershing Drive, Austin, TX 78723), or by phone at 800-928-4271 or by texting REDCROSS to 90999. For more information visit their website.
- Austin Disaster Relief Network: Donate online, by mail (P.O. Box 3817, Cedar Park, TX 78630 Attn: Memorial Weekend Flood Fund). For more information visit their website.
- United Way: Donate online or by texting FLOODS to 41444. For more information visit their website.
- Salvation Army: Volunteer or donate online or by mail at The Salvation Army (P.O. Box 1000, Austin, TX 78767). For more information visit their website.
- Austin Pets Alive: Accepting donations, foster care, and help with laundry. For more information visit their website.
Tags: ACC, assistance, canned goods, Central Texas, community, flood, food drive, Memorial Day, reliefBack to Top