Flexible spending accounts offered for commuting expenses

csaposterBeginning January 1, benefits-eligible ACC employees can take advantage of a new flexible spending account specifically for expenses incurred commuting to and from work.

Like other types of flexible spending accounts, commuter spending accounts (CSAs) let employees use pre-tax dollars to pay for expenses such as parking fees and public transportation fares. (Note: Gas costs or toll road fees are not eligible expenses.) The accounts are subject to Internal Revenue Service rules.

There are two types of CSAs:

  • Parking accounts are for eligible parking expenses near a workplace (such as ACC parking tag fees) or expenses at a public transit or van pool parking lot. (Austin’s Capital Metro does not charge a fee at its Park & Ride lots.) For 2016, employees may allocate between $15 and $255 per month to a parking account.
  • Transit Accounts are for eligible public transit or van pool expenses incurred getting to and from work. This includes bus, train, or light rail expenses (such as CapMetro fares or passes). A van pool vehicle must seat at least six adults, not including the driver, with at least 80 percent of its mileage devoted to transporting individuals to and from work. For 2016, employees may allocate between $15 and $130 per month to a transit account.

Employees already enrolled in a TexFlex healthcare account can use their TexFlex debit card for CSA expenses. Those without an existing account will receive a free debit card to pay for parking and transit expenses.

The CSAs are offered by the Employees Retirement System of Texas and administered by ADP.

To learn more or enroll, visit the TexFlex ERS Commuter Spending Account website or contact ADP at 844-884-2364, Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Employees also can register for a webinar, “Introduction to the Commuter Spending Account,” presented by ERS on Tuesday, December 15, from 10 to 11 a.m. Register on the ERS Events Calendar webpage. (The webinar will be recorded for future access.)

For more information, view CSA frequently asked questions.

For questions about ACC benefits, contact the HR Benefits office at: [email protected] or call Steve Hassel at 512-223-7617.

Tags: ,

Back to Top