Starting this fall, Austin Community College introduces a blocked scheduling program that will make it easier for students to finish college faster.
Block schedules are classes arranged back-to-back that count toward a designated degree or certificate. By signing up for the entire block, students can fit a full course schedule into one or two days a week, in mornings, evenings, online, or weekends.
“A block schedule of classes will take the guesswork out of college for students because the classes they need will be grouped together,” says Dr. Charles Cook, provost/executive vice president of academic affairs. “Students sign up for the same block every semester, and complete all the classes needed to graduate.”
The predictability of scheduling the same block is one of the key benefits to students. Also, many of the blocks include 9 to 12 credits in order to keep students on track to graduate.
“Block schedules benefit all students but are particularly helpful for those students who balance their studies with work and family commitments,” Dr. Cook says.
The following programs offer block schedules beginning in fall.
- Academic transfer programs offering the Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, and Associate of Arts in Teaching degree
- Automotive Technology and Outdoor Powered Equipment
- Building Construction Technology
- Child Care & Development
- Criminal Justice
- Culinary Arts
- Fire Protection Technology
- Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Technology
- Hospitality, Meeting, and Event Planning, Tourism
- Pharmacy Technician
- Welding Technology
For course details and registration instructions, visit austincc.edu/block.Back to Top