Austin Community College District (ACC) invites faculty, staff, students, and the community to a weeklong series of events for Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation (THRT) week, Monday, January 16, through Friday, January 20. The 2023 theme is “Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation Begins with Me.”
The TRHT Campus Center’s mission is to eliminate barriers that reinforce differential outcomes by race and to build cross-racial relationships that lead to racial healing and an exploration of ways to transform while creating narratives that can influence people’s perspectives, perceptions, and behaviors about and toward one another.
ACC’s TRHT Campus Center partnered with the college’s Culinary Department, The Art Gallery, and the Austin Public Library. The events include workshops, dialogues, panel discussions, art exhibits, and racial healing circles led by students, faculty, staff, and community guests.
Tuesday, January 17 | National Day of Racial Healing
Tuesday is National Day of Racial Healing. The W.K. Kellogg Foundation’s Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation effort is a national, community-based initiative to address historic and contemporary effects of racism.
- Culinary Demonstration: Foods of Religion Demo and Discussion. | Noon to 2 p.m.
- Healing Through Food is a demonstration, tasting, and talk about the role food plays in religion, culture, and bringing us together. Participants will listen, learn, and taste food at the ACC Highland Campus, Eatery 73.
- National Day of Racial Healing with the Art Gallery Dept | 3 to 5 p.m.
- The Art Gallery and Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation Center host a contest for art pieces at Highland Campus, Building 4000 Artwork Alley. The show and event serve as a reminder that equity, justice, love, care, and respect for all individuals start with each and every one of us.
- ACC & Austin Public Library Racial Healing Circle | 6 to 8 p.m.
- ACC’s TRHT and the Austin Public Library will partner to celebrate 2023 Day of Racial Healing. The event at the Austin Central Library ( 710 West Cesar Chavez St) features a Racial Healing Circle designed to focus on the sharing of stories that affirm our common humanity. Registration is required.
In addition to the National Day of Racial Healing, the THRT continues to host events throughout the week. Highlighted events include:
- 2 p.m., Wednesday, January 18 | Mental Health Round Table Discussion
- A roundtable discussion will address topics regarding mental health, including secondary trauma and parentification. The event will be hosted at the TRHT Center located in building 4000 of the Highland Campus.
- 3 p.m., Thursday, January 19 | Racial Healing Circle
- Students, employees, and the community will engage in a panel discussion about mental health and healing. Join us for a Racial Healing Circle at Riverside Campus, Building G.
- 11 a.m., Friday, January 20 | Leveling White Privilege
- The workshop at the TRHT Center at Highland Campus will discuss race and white privilege without fear, guilt, and/or shame. Participants will be guided through materials to develop a deeper knowledge of the physical manifestations of whiteness, discuss race-based trauma, and deepen their personal and communal relationships.
For a complete list of events and to register, visit austincc.edu/trht.Back to Top