Austin Community College District (ACC) is here to support your education and career goals. Paying for college is a big financial commitment, and for many of us, using student loans has been part of the journey. ACC experts share what you need to know as the Federal Payment Pause ends and repayment for many student loan borrowers begins in October.
Written by: Belinda Peña, ACC Financial Aid and Veterans Outreach Associate Director
As we approach October 2023, when federal student loan payments restart, it’s important for borrowers to prepare for repayment. Here are three tips to help you manage your student loans.
Tip #1: Find Your Loan Servicer & Prepare for Your First Payment
Your loan servicer is the company that handles your loans and takes care of your monthly payments. They can also guide you on different repayment plans and loan relief options.
To find your loan servicer and prepare for your first payment:
- Log In to StudentAid.gov: Use the same login details you used for your FAFSA to access your account at StudentAid.gov. Once you’re logged in, go to your Account Dashboard and locate the section labeled “My Loan Servicers.”
- Create (or Update) Your Account: After identifying your loan servicer, create (or update) your account on their website or mobile app. Make sure your contact information is correct. This account will be essential for tracking your loans and managing payments.
- Prepare for Your First Payment: Review your payment due date and the amount due on your loan servicer’s website. To ensure timely payments each month, consider setting up automatic monthly bank withdrawals.
Tip #2: Use the Loan Simulator to Explore Repayment Options
When it comes to managing your student loans, the Loan Simulator on the Federal Student Aid website is a great tool. It lets you explore your repayment options and see how they’ll impact your payments. This way, you can try out different scenarios and find the best fit for your budget without any pressure to commit.
Tip #3: Seek Help and Resources
Navigating loan repayment can be overwhelming, but you don’t have to do it alone. There are various resources available to assist you:
- Financial Coaching for ACC Students: Get free financial coaching from MOSAIEC, our nonprofit partner program. They offer virtual appointments to help you refine your budget, reduce expenses, and set financial goals. Learn more at mosaiec.org/coaching.
- Contact Your Loan Servicer: Don’t forget, your loan servicer is a valuable resource. They can provide information about your loans, repayment plans, and loan relief options.
- ACC’s Financial Aid Office: We’re here to help at Austin Community College. Reach out for any questions and guidance on available resources.
Remember, you’re not alone in this journey, and ACC is here to support you every step of the way. If you have more questions or need additional information, please visit ACC’s dedicated loan repayment page at austincc.edu/loanrepayment.Back to Top