Work-Study Position Title: Hybrid Office Assistant
Department: Visual Communication
Campus: Hybrid Position (Combination of in-person & remote work); Based at the Elgin Campus
Reports To: Department Chair, Visual Communication
Related Area(s) of Study: Arts, Digital Media & Communications
Compensation Rate: $15.60 Hourly
Hours: Up to 19 hours per week of hybrid work - Weekly maximum is based on the student’s work-study award. Standard schedule Monday through Friday between 8AM – 5PM. Some evening and/or weekend hours required.
Purpose: Support the Visual Communication department through your organizational and creative design skills.
Description Duties and Tasks:
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
• Respond to and/or direct inquiries in-person, on the phone, or via email.
• Maintain data entry or process any office documents.
• Perform clerical duties in support of department.
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Ability to conform to an established work schedule.
• Ability to use a personal computer to perform remote job functions.
• Ability to communicate in a concise and effective manner.
• Ability to understand and follow instructions.
• Effective interpersonal skills.
• Ability to exercise tact and discretion.
Additional Job Duties:
• Assist department chair and administrative assistant on projects that may involve planning, organizing, filing, and typing.
• Maintain database, attend remote meetings and maintain display cases.
• Design promotional materials for the department including posters or flyers, create mailing lists and update web content.
• Assist in department recruiting activities such as staffing tabling events.
Additional Job Specifications:
•Prefer a Visual Communication student with strong working knowledge of Adobe CC software: PhotoShop, InDesign, Illustrator, Google Suites and email marketing software.
• Interested candidates must submit a letter of interest, resume, and portfolio or examples of design work.
To be eligible for work-study, you must show financial need on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet additional requirements such as:
- Remain enrolled in at least 6 credits (half-time) on your degree plan for each term you are employed. If you drop below half-time enrollment, you must stop working immediately.
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards each semester (e.g. a cumulative 2.0 GPA & 67% completion rate).
- If offered work-study on Self-Service, complete a Criminal History Background Check and submit Human Resources paperwork to the Financial Aid Office.