Work-Study Position Title: In-Person Lab Assistant
Department: Fashion Design
Campus: Highland Campus
Reports To: Department Chair, Fashion Design
Related Area(s) of Study: Arts, Digital Media & Communications; Business
Compensation Rate: $15.60 Hourly
Hours: Up to 19 hours per week - Weekly maximum is based on the student’s work-study award. Standard schedule Monday through Friday between 8AM – 5PM. Evening and/or weekend hours available.
Purpose: To provide lab and/or classroom support services to students and faculty.
Description Duties and Tasks:
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
• Maintain clean and safe facilities which includes organizing materials/supplies.
• Respond to and/or direct inquiries in-person, on the phone, or via email.
• Maintain data entry or process any office documents.
• Perform clerical duties in support of the department.
• May assist students in a lab/classroom setting.
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Ability to conform to an established work schedule.
• Ability to communicate in a concise and effective manner.
• Ability to understand and follow instructions.
• Ability to use computers.
• Effective interpersonal skills.
• Ability to exercise tact and discretion.
Additional Job Specifications:
• Assist with Fashion Design department responsibilities and additional duties as assigned by Department Chair.
• Must be able to lift 20-30 pounds be willing/able to work independently.
• Must have completed FSHD 1324 or demonstrate knowledge of how to safely operate an industrial sewing machine.
To be eligible for work-study, you must show financial need on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet additional requirements such as:
- Remain enrolled in at least 6 credits (half-time) on your degree plan for each term you are employed. If you drop below half-time enrollment, you must stop working immediately.
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards each semester (e.g. a cumulative 2.0 GPA & 67% completion rate).
- If offered work-study on Self-Service, complete a Criminal History Background Check and submit Human Resources paperwork to the Financial Aid Office.