Work-Study Position Title: In-Person Office Assistant
Department: Student Affairs - Advising
Campus: Elgin Campus
Reports To: Area of Study Advising Supervisor
Related Area(s) of Study: Liberal Arts; Health Sciences; Education
Compensation Rate: $15.60 Hourly
Hours: Up to 19 hours per week - Weekly maximum is based on the student’s work-study award. Standard schedule Monday through Friday between 8AM – 5PM.
Purpose: Provides clerical and administrative support to a departmental office or program.
Description Duties and Tasks:
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
• Respond to and/or direct inquiries in-person, on the phone. or via email.
• Maintain data entry or process any office documents.
• Perform clerical duties in support of department.
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Ability to conform to an established work schedule.
• Ability to use a personal computer to perform job functions.
• Ability to communicate in a concise and effective manner.
• Ability to understand and follow instructions.
• Effective interpersonal skills.
• Ability to exercise tact and discretion.
Additional Job Duties:
• Assist current and prospective students with information on the enrollment process including admissions, financial aid, and assessment.
• Schedule appointments, make/ answer phone calls, direct students to the correct department.
• Monitor and screen student records for status information including holds, academic standings, and exceeding course loads.
• Maintain confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
To be eligible for work-study, you must show financial need on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet additional requirements such as:
- Remain enrolled in at least 6 credits (half-time) on your degree plan for each term you are employed. If you drop below half-time enrollment, you must stop working immediately.
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards each semester (e.g. a cumulative 2.0 GPA & 67% completion rate).
- If offered work-study on Self-Service, complete a Criminal History Background Check and submit Human Resources paperwork to the Financial Aid Office.