“Be Where Your Feet Are”

Do you make resolutions for the new year? I typically don’t. Which is not to say that I don’t respect those who do. I like to believe that new year’s resolutions reflect intentionality and thoughtfulness and self-awareness, so if you make resolutions, I applaud you. And even though I see myself as intentional and thoughtful and self-aware, I just can’t commit to a NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTION.

There are all sorts of reasons why I don’t make new year’s resolutions. I know that the world will change – tomorrow, next week, next summer – and often those changes mean that my resolutions will be out-of-date. Alternatively, my intentionality will run into barriers I can’t foresee, or my January self-awareness will seem belabored by June as I’ve grown and learned more about myself. And maybe there’s just a part of me that knows I’ll fall short of the resolution goal, so I save myself the disappointment.

New Year’s Resolution 1915 postcard

Despite what I just wrote, I feel compelled to share some good ideas with you. Take these as possible resolutions, or just take them as advice to ponder. Adapt, adopt, ignore – as you choose. These words of wisdom come from a New York Times column by Melissa Kirsch and reflect submissions by readers. Enjoy!

From the “Ten Percent Happier” podcast: “Stop and recognize happy moments when you’re in the middle of them. Literally stop and say out loud, “This is a happy time.” It’s a way to ground yourself in the joyful parts of your life. We do this with moments of trauma and crisis all the time. Maybe we should flip that script.”

“You don’t have to identify with your feelings.” — Rori Quinonez, Toledo, Ohio

“I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days is 100 percent, and that’s pretty good.” — Hudson, San Diego

“Everyone is going through something.” — Rose Fischietto, Macedonia, Ohio

“Be where your feet are.” — Submitted by both Pattie Saunders, Portland, Ore., and Kelly Kammerer, New York City

As you can tell by the title of this post, I love that last one. So this year, and contrary to my typical approach to the new year, I resolve to “be where my feet are” – every day, as best I can, all year long.

Happy 2023 to you!

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This