GDAMG Faculty Spotlight: Niall Farrel

3D Animation Faculty Spotlight: Niall Farrel

Niall Farell is an adjunct professor teaching 3D Animation.  He currently works in the industry at Moontower VFX as a Character Animator and Rigger.  Years ago, Niall was actually a student at ACC learning animation with us. He successfully graduated our program, went on to learn even more industry techniques and found work in the local Austin animation industry. Since teaching in our program he’s made massive contributions to our program, helping to hone our materials and helping student work look fantastic. He has given back in spades and ACC is lucky to have him!

Tell us a little bit about your background in the animation industry:

I gravitated toward visual art after years as a musician. While studying animation at ACC, a local studio named Panic Button recruited two fellow students and I to work on a video game. At that moment, I was 8 months from graduating, still needing an advanced animation class and a portfolio class to graduate. Luckily Brandon Lackey, my animation teacher at the time, urged us to practice making portfolio reels just in case opportunities came up. He was right and the three of us got our first job.

I was a little anxious starting out, but had just enough training from ACC to build on. And the studio was great to work for. After 8 months on the job, the studio wanted to keep one of us for a few more months. It came down to two of us, who had similar skills. In the end, they said part of the reason they chose to keep me was because I graduated from ACC while working for them.

For several years after that, I worked random short contracts at a handful of Austin studios. I eventually got full time work at Moontower VFX. I believe it’s important to be a perpetual student, whatever field you’re in. So, along the way, I also attended an online animation school called Animation Mentor. My overall education and work experience has helped me evolve a methodology and mental capacity to see projects through, but ACC was the foundation that got it all going.

What are some current projects you are involved with?

Over the past few years up to now, I’ve been doing character animation and some character rigging for commercials and short web spots as promotion for phone and tablet video games (including Star Trek, The Walking Dead, Looney Tunes, WWE). I also do some animation for VFX shots on Facebook/Crypt TV shows (Stereoscope and Kinderfanger).

How are you bringing your real world experiences to the classroom?

What helps a lot is that I’ve been exactly where my students are. As a former ACC student coming back to the classroom with professional experience, I try to convey aspects of my daily work, including what’s expected in a professional setting, the importance of methodical, efficient workflow, the importance of self-reliance as well as collaboration, and most importantly, professional demeanor. When appropriate, I also try to give them examples of where I fell short on these things, and point out ways to pivot.

How has COVID-19 affected the animation business and what are some ways that your company has dealt with these challenges?

Covid has absolutely drastically affected the animation business, with pros and cons. Everyone in our company works from home, as do most people now. So we’ve had to adapt our communication styles and file management to fit the remote situation. Another interesting development in the industry is that there seems to be even more work than before. With most people stuck at home, entertainment production has increased. I’m hearing about and noticing more job opportunities.

Is there anything else you would like to share with us?

I started this journey 12 years ago at ACC majoring in 3D Animation. While in school I remember feeling a natural high at times, having found my direction. And part of that feeling came from ACC’s facilities and instructors being so great.

You May Also Like…

ACC Hosts Event for the Austin Empty Bowl Project

The ACC Art Department hosted a bowl-painting party on October 27 in the Ceramics Studio for faculty and staff to decorate bowls to be glazed, fired, and donated to the 27th Annual Austin Empty Bowl Project. The Austin Empty Bowl Project is an effort by area potters...

Congrats to The Winners of the Viscom DESIGN-A-THON

Viscom kicked off November with a DESIGN-A-THON, in which four teams of Viscom students had a little less than eight hours to research, ideate, design, and implement a solution to the prompt “how might we help ACC students without transportation get to ACC campuses so...

Dance Welcomes Two New Faculty Members

Please join us in welcoming two new Dance Adjunct Faculty: Jonathan Pattiwael and Sanchita Sharma! Jonathan Pattiwael (they-he-dia), born in Bandung, Indonesia is a dance performer, choreographer and teacher based in Austin, Texas. An Assistant Professor of Dance at...