Database administrators use software to collect, store, and organize a company’s information such as customer records. They ensure the data is easily accessible for company use but safe from unauthorized access.
Database Administrator skills:
- Knowledge of structured query language (SQL) and database design
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- Good judgment and decision making
- PayScale.com gives salary information based on location, experience, education level and more
- Austin Chamber of Commerce Job Posting Report gives monthly summaries about job postings, median salaries, etc.
- O*Net Online has career and job outlook information on Computer Science and Information Technology fields
Database Administration Certificate
Start by earning a Marketable Skills award in Computer Programming in as little as one semester as a full-time student. Continue on to earn a certificate in Database Administration, in as little as one year.
If you want to go even faster, you can earn the Marketable Skills Award and the CIT Database Certificate through the APT (Accelerated Programmer Training) program, which enables you to complete courses online, at your own pace.
**After you earn your CIT Database Certificate you could go on to get an AAS degree in Computer Programming. Visit with your CSIT Departmental Advisor to get more information.
Occupational Skills Award *
Four introductory courses in computing, programming, and networking
Computer Information Technology Database Certificate *
Certificate designed for entry level database administration position
Computer Programming, AAS Degree**
Degree designed for an entry-level programming position