***** New Advising Notes for HIST-1301 and HIST-1302. Review the latest Business Administration Requirements and Substitutions for details. *****
The Business Administration degree was one of the original degrees offered when ACC started in 1973. Our curriculum is designed to prepare students to transfer to a four-year university baccalaureate program.
In addition to business courses, the curriculum includes math, science, social sciences, and humanities. It is not a Workforce program. It is considered to be an Academic transfer program and is based on the 42-hour Core Curriculum and Business Field of Study Curriculum. The degree represents the first two years of a four-year degree and will vary from university to university.
All courses in this degree plan must be taken and passed in order to earn the Associate of Science in Business Administration. The program provides distinctive learning that actively engages students and prepares them to be successful in the global economy.
Note – Business Administration is not Business Management nor International Business. Visit the Business Area of Study page to learn about these programs.
Welcome to the Business Administration Department at Austin Community College
According to Mark Sprague, Economist, and the State Director of Information Capital for Independence Title, Austin is the 4th best performing among 50 largest metro areas. It has only a 3.8% unemployment rate and is the 4th most desirable city for millennials. Sprague pointed to Austin’s economy outperforming most of the nation with job creation. Wall Street Journal recently ranked Austin as America’s best job market as did many additional sources. Why study Business Administration at ACC? BUA offers a solid foundation to support career advancement in many business-related areas including a wide range of skills such as leadership and problem-solving. BUA covers many in-demand discipline areas such as Accounting, Business Research, Economics, Finance, Global Strategies, Law, Ethics, Management and Marketing.
According to Aquila the top jobs in Austin are: Operations Managers, Project Managers, Business Operations Specialist, Accountants, Auditors, Management Analysts, Software Analysts, Computer Analysts, Market Research Analysts, and Marketing Specialists. All of these jobs generally require a Business degree.
Our student population and changing culture in the business world will be the key drivers for the increased emphasis on careers in the business area. We believe critical thinking, teamwork to solve problems, effective communication skills, and digital knowledge are at the heart of what we value and teach our students. In this digital economy, the ability to read and analyze data, strong quantitative analysis skills, understanding the importance of a creative mindset and innovation are all skills our Business students must possess as we move through the 2020 decade. We welcome all students and embrace accessibility, equity, diversity, and inclusion by providing more opportunities and more accessible support for all of our business students. Our faculty are here to support you and encourage you to seek our assistance as you begin your educational experience.
Austin is known as a knowledge-based creative, innovative work city. Austin is a great city for anyone with a degree in Business Administration. A greater proportion of our society are seeing the virtues of online education but what students are not experiencing is how to integrate some face-to-face with online education. At ACC we know that good education can happen in many ways and we have a variety of options with online instruction and classroom instruction in a variety of times and places.
WHY CHOOSE BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION AT ACC
— Navigating college can be challenging, but not if you choose ACC —
- Business Administration has exemplary curriculum that is current and utilizes the latest technology which allows our students to become more effective learners.
- Business Administration works with all students to achieve their educational goals. Students are advised to establish a degree plan and are encouraged to progress towards completion of their degree in a timely manner and to save time and money by not taking courses that are not relevant.
- Business Administration ensures that the skills and knowledge gained will prepare students to enter the work force and have the competencies needed to obtain mastery in the field of business and/or transfer to a university to complete a four-year degree in business. The purpose of this associate degree has always been a “Pathway program” for students wishing to transfer to a 4-year university.
- Business Administration has several strengths; versatility (good entry-level credential for lots of jobs that are not “dead-end” jobs) and long-term impact (how many people in the community are working in pretty good mid-level jobs who got started from an AS degree in BUA.)
- Business Administration provides small class sizes so that the instructor will have the time to provide individual attention to all students. Business Administration is committed to achieving equity for all students in our program and small classes is one way to give our students individualized attention. Courses in the degree plan are 100% online.
- Business Administration maintains a Departmental Webpage, Facebook page, Instagram and LinkedIn and all are focused on communicating up-to-date information to our students. We understand and utilize Social Media to stay connected and relevant with our students.
- Business Administration offers lower tuition costs over universities.
Austin Community College District is accredited by Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. SACSCOC is the body for the accreditation of degree-granting higher education institutions in the Southern states.
The Business Administration Program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs. ACBSP is the premier accrediting association for business schools and programs with a focus on teaching excellence.
DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe. ACC DECA Chapter is actively involved with students through events, competitions, leadership opportunities, scholarships, awards, and interactions with business leaders and peers.
* Google Translations are provided only for your convenience. *
Please contact the department if you have any questions.