ACC Fest 2018


ACC Fest - Student Visiting Department Table

The following document is provided for students and advisors to give additional information about choices and possible substitutions for earning the BUA associate’s degree at ACC. It has a comprehensive listing of current degree requirements and discussion of acceptable substitutions – Business Administration Requirements and Substitutions

Click on the “Transfers” tab above for information on both transferring into ACC and transferring to a four-year program after doing work at ACC. At the end of that page see icons linking to information about specific four-year colleges and universities with which ACC has articulation agreements. (An articulation agreement means that the four-year school explicitly has agreed to accept the listed courses in transfer as applicable to their four-year degree.)

Please remember that requirements can differ among universities and can change.  Students should always consult faculty advisors and/or catalogs of universities to which they plan to transfer.  The department will work closely with ACC advisors to meet your needs for preparing to enroll in a four-year program in business.

For additional questions, talk to a Business Administration advisor.


ACC Transfer BrochureACC University Transfer Brochure

Transfer to ACC

Transfer to Austin Community College (ACC) for a semester or longer, and you’ll get a quality education for a fraction of the price. Credits transfer seamlessly between ACC and the state’s four-year universities, so you can stay on track while spending less.

ACC has partnered with Transfer Evaluation System (TES) to provide a web-based resource of all of our established course equivalencies from institutions for which ACC has previously awarded transfer course credit. TES is continuously updated to include recent course additions as they are evaluated at ACC.

Use the TES tool to find your current or previous college to see how your courses will transfer to ACC.

Transfer from ACC

Transferring from Austin Community College (ACC) to a four-year college or university is a popular path to a bachelor’s degree. You can build a solid academic foundation and save on the cost of college by earning college credits at ACC before you transfer.

Articulation agreement is a partnership between two institutions to recognize credits toward a degree. ACC has articulation agreements for Business Administration students with the following institutions:

Concordia University

Kansas State University

Park University

Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU)

St. Edward's University

Stephen F. Austin University

Tarleton State University

Texas A&M University Central Texas

Texas A&M University Commerce

Texas A&M Corpus Christi

Texas State

University of North Texas

WGU TexasJim Winter Johnson, Strategic Partnership Manager, 512-436-5214

1. What if I am unsure of my educational goals?

All of the specific two-year Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degrees are very focused toward one area. The requirements in the Business Administration Associate of Science (AS) degree are more general. They are excellent foundation courses, which include several business-related courses and electives. Moreover, many of the courses transfer to most Texas universities. Thus, if there is any chance that you will want to work toward a four-year degree, it is better to work toward an AS degree in Business Administration than in any of the more specialized two-year AAS degrees.

2. ACC offers a wide range of business courses. These courses represent my interest. Why are you suggesting that I take Mathematics, Science, English, History, Government, etc, now when my interests lie in the business area?

The answer is transferability and broad-based educational experience.   The Business Administration degree plan was designed to include the proper transferable courses.

3. In mathematics, the Business Administration degree plan lists MATH 1324 Math for Business and Economics and MATH 1325 Business Calculus. Do all the four-year schools require both of these?

Before you begin taking math, look at the school to which you intend to transfer and see what their math courses are, then determine the requirements for those courses – both at ACC and at the school to which you intend to transfer.

Most four-year schools require MATH 1325 Business Calculus.

MATH 1324 satisfies the prerequisite for MATH 1325. Students who remember enough high school algebra may be able to place in the MATH 1325 without taking a prerequisite course.   However, some four-year schools, such as Texas State University, expect students to take the prerequisite course anyway.

Many four-year schools require only MATH 1325 Business Calculus. The University of Texas at Austin (UT) and a few other colleges in the US require a two-course sequence of calculus classes, which is MATH 2413 Calculus I and MATH 2414 Calculus II.  MATH 2413 Calculus I, requires a higher-level prerequisite, so students who want to prepare for this sequence should consult an ACC Math Faculty Advisor before beginning a math sequence.

Note – Students interested in UT Business need to complete their MATH 2414 Calculus II by the end of the Fall semester before the March application deadline. UT won’t consider students who have not completed the two-course sequence of calculus classes.

Final decisions about which courses will be accepted lie with the four-year school.

4. If I already have credit for College Algebra or Precalculus, may I substitute one of those for MATH 1324 Math for Business and Economics?

Answer: No.

It would be acceptable to substitute MATH 1325, Business Calculus, for MATH 1324, Math for Business and Economics.

If you have a grade of at least C in College Algebra or Precalculus, you have met the prerequisite for MATH 1325. Most four-year colleges require MATH 1325 to earn a bachelor’s degree, so this is a very useful course to transfer for most students. (Please note that UT Austin has a very different math requirement, which is described in the previous FAQ question.)

Notice that, in the current BUA degree plan, MATH 1325 is listed as one of the second-semester choices. If we substitute MATH 1325 for MATH 1324, it will not satisfy the requirement in the second-semester of the degree plan. You must make the other choice there, which is to choose a course from the Component Area Option of the Core Curriculum, in order to meet ACC graduation requirements

5. What about Natural Science?

The University of Texas at Austin requires that both natural science courses be taken in the same subject (i.e. two courses in biology as opposed to one, biology course and one chemistry course). Texas State University requires 6 semester credit hours and the two courses don’t have to be in the same subject. Check with your receiving institution to ensure specific transfer requirements are met.

6. Some four-year schools accept transfer students with 30 hours and others accept 60 hours. Should I obtain the minimum number of hours from ACC or complete the associate degree requirements?

The answer to this question depends on your situation. Please consider the following:
The tuition and class sizes at ACC are generally lower. Financially, it is to your advantage to take as many transferable courses as possible at ACC.

Employers often believe that students who set a goal of completing an entire program and then succeed at that goal are more organized and focused than students who have just taken the same number of hours but not as part of a plan. Graduating with the associate of science degree is a major accomplishment.

There may be a break between the completion of the ACC courses and the completion of your four-year degree. Some schools may not accept “stale” courses individually, but will give credit for having completed an entire degree program. Thus, the associate of science degree is preferred in this case.

Please note that, in general, a maximum of 66 hours may be transferred. Please check with the four-year school for specific guidance.

7. I want a job now, but I also want to be able to transfer to a four-year school. Why should I even consider taking Mathematics, Science, Economics, Government, etc. courses? I want Computer Science, Business, Accounting, Finance, Marketing, etc. courses.

The general education courses included in the business administration degree are excellent foundation courses. These courses provide both the background and skills needed in the business courses and in the business workplace. Employers value the completion of these basic courses as much, if not more, than technical courses. The Business Administration degree includes basic business courses.

8. Can I test out of any courses?

It is common for students to receive credit through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). Please refer to the ACC catalog for information about credit. These are national standardized tests offered in Austin at the University of Texas. Call the Measurement and Evaluation Center at UT for information about taking them. Also each department at ACC may have courses for which you may receive credit by challenging the course. Please check with the department in which you are interested and read the requirements in the ACC catalog. One example of a requirement is that you may not challenge a course in which you were ever enrolled – even if you withdrew from the course.

9. I have credits from other colleges, which may count towards the associate's degree. What should I do?

Any current or perspective student may request an evaluation of their transcripts from other schools. (An official transcript must be submitted from each college attended.) You can make this request with any advisor or in the Office of Admissions & Enrollment on any campus. A specialist at the District Administrative Office will make the evaluation and send a copy to you as well as to the department of your major. Your advisor will then work with you to determine the appropriate use of these courses. There are occasions when courses may be substituted.

10. May I receive credit for work experience?

ACC does not currently have a provision for granting work experience credit.  The Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences degree at some four-year universities, such as Texas State University, can incorporate Technical and Vocational training as well as credit for work experience.   Again, in most instances, the core curriculum will be required as part of that degree plan.  The Business Administration degree will give you a great foundation to transfer towards this degree.

11. Do Developmental courses count toward the Business Administration degree?

NO. These are developmental courses, which will prepare students for success in college credit courses and do not count toward any degree.

12. I have been working towards an Associate of Applied Science degree (non-transferable). Now I see that the Business Administration degree is better. Is there anyway to salvage the courses?

Since the courses are non-transferable, the Bachelor of Applied Arts and Science (BAAS) is an excellent alternative to the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree.

The BAAS at Texas State University is designed to offer students the opportunity to earn college credit for prior learning assessment such as work/life experience and non-collegiate instruction. Students still must meet general education requirements and take upper level courses to complete the degree.

Concordia University Texas offers an online Bachelor of Applied Arts and Science in Business. The fully online program is designed around your schedule, so you can learn at your convenience. Classes are taught by professors with industry experience, with an emphasis on relevant, applicable skills. In addition, students who earn a workforce degree at ACC now have the option to continue their studies and earn a bachelor’s degree in business without transferring to a university campus. The Associate of Applied Science to Bachelor of Applied Arts and Science 3+1 Degree Program allows students who complete an AAS degree at ACC to seamlessly transition to a BAAS degree in business at Concordia University Texas.

13. I want to be a CPA. What should I do?

Students planning to transfer to a four-year institution should consult an advisor or counselor about requirements and transferability of courses.

Accounting Faculty

CPA Exam General Information

14. Do you have any suggestions for the general elective requirements for the Business Administration degree?

The Business Administration degree is the first two years of a four-year degree and is designed to transfer to a four-year institution. The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has required that each college offering Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Bachelor or Arts, or Bachelor of Science degrees identify a Core Curriculum that all students must take. You must take your general electives from the core curriculum . Students should consult with their receiving institution, particularly when selecting Science and Math coursework. Consult the degree plan footnotes, and the core curriculum in the college catalog when selecting electives for this degree. Consult a business advisor if you wish to take courses different from those recommended.

15. Do you have any information about the Field of Study Curriculum?

The Field of Study Curriculum (FOSC) for Business Administration is the set of lower division courses that must be applied to any undergraduate Business-related major within the 52 two-digit CIP code, other than Economics. This includes the following majors:
  • Accounting
  • Finance
  • Marketing
  • Business/Commerce
  • Management Information Systems
The FOS should be followed by community and technical colleges to structure a transfer curriculum in these fields. Education Code Chapter 61, Section 823, directs the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to develop FOSC to facilitate student transfer. If a student successfully completes a FOS for an established degree program, the student may transfer that block of courses for full academic credit. The transferred FOS courses must be substituted for that institution’s lower-division requirements for the discipline degree program into which the student transfers. If a student completes only part of the FOS, then credit for those courses must also apply toward the major.

Students seeking a bachelor’s degree with a major in business or a related discipline should complete core curriculum plus field of study curriculum.

ACC’s field of study courses for business are listed below. These courses are fully transferable to other Texas public colleges and universities and are applicable to the Bachelor of Business Administration, Bachelor of Arts in Business, or Bachelor of Science in Business, including all business specializations.

NOTE: Fields of Study are valid only when no course substitutions are made. Consult an advisor regarding transfer to a specific college or university.

Business Field of Study Courses

ACCT 2301 Principles of Financial Accounting
ACCT 2302 Principles of Managerial Accounting
BCIS 1305 Business Computer Applications
BUSI 1301 Business Principles
BUSI 2305 Business Statistics
ECON 2301 Principles of Macroeconomics
ECON 2302 Principles of Microeconomics
MATH 1324 Mathematics for Business & Social Sciences

Transfer NoteTexas State University applies BCIS 1305 as an elective.

16. I now realize that I declared the wrong major with ACC. What can I do?

Follow these steps to Change Major/Program of Study

17. How do I find out about jobs and internships?

The Office of Experiential Learning (OEL) Internships Program provides support services to Austin Community College academic departments to develop and maintain internships. Our Internship Program also assists city, state, and county agencies, companies, and non-profits to develop internships programs and connect them to ACC departments with student interns.

18. Is there anything else I should know?

YES. This information is not intended to answer all questions. Please read the ACC catalog for additional information and for additional questions, talk to a Business Administration advisor.
If you want additional information, please go to the Transfer Services. It includes information about how to transfer, course equivalencies, transfer plans, and much more.

* Google Translations are provided only for your convenience. *
Please contact the department if you have any questions.

Back to Top
Translate (Traducir) »