ACC and the Austin Board of REALTORS® (ABoR) are offering the Real Estate Associate Degree program to Akins Early College High School students.
Texas Real Estate Exam Prep Workshop is offered at the end of each semester. It is a 2-day workshop provided at no cost to current and past ACC Real Estate students with the Department Chair's approval.
The purpose of the Real Estate Club is to further ACC student body’s knowledge about real estate as an industry and as a career.
The Real Estate Department at ACC was one of the original departments when the college started in 1973. It was actually called the Real Estate and Insurance Department. It was located at the Ridgeview campus and moved to the Rio Grande campus when it opened in 1975. In the beginning classes were taught mainly at night at Austin High, Crockett High and Reagan High.
The department endeavors to maintain excellence throughout the program. We provide premier courses and degree plans that give students the practical, theoretical, and technical knowledge needed to be successful in the field of real estate. Our curriculum provides students with first-rate professional and workforce programs that result in employment in the public and private sectors. It is based on identified competencies, and strives to be socially responsible as well as addressing employer needs. Our graduates will possess the skills necessary to successfully pass the Texas Real Estate Commission Sales License and Brokers state exam and become a Texas Realtor.
Welcome to the Real Estate Department at Austin Community College
According to the economist Mark Sprague, state director of information capital for Independence Title, Austin’s real estate market is exactly where it should be based on demand.
“There have been reports of Austin’s housing market being overvalued, but from an economist’s perspective, my question is, ‘overvalued compared to what?’ The Austin market is robust, and sales activity and pricing have been driven by true demand. A combination of events, including increased job creation in the market, low interest rates, shifting priorities for prospective buyers, and in many cases, increased personal savings are why the Austin MSA is a top market in the country. When there is this much demand, it is difficult for an entire market to be considered overvalued.” Sprague pointed to Austin’s economy outperforming most of the nation with job creation and single-family permit applications as key indicators: “Austin’s economic resiliency has led the MSA to be a leading market in the nation in terms of single-family permit applications for new construction. “
ACC Real Estate College Credit Program offers two Award Plans:
Real Estate Brokerage Licensing Associate of Applied Science Degree – Applicants for a broker license will need to have four years of experience as a licensed salesperson, plus demonstrate practical competency by providing a detailed list of brokerage activities engaged in by the applicant during this same period. Besides a broker license, graduates will also have additional opportunities in diverse areas, such as comparative market analysis, property management and investment. Five of our college credit courses meet Sales Apprentice Education (SAE) requirements.
Real Estate Licensing Level 1 Certificate – Comprised of two components: 1. Five mandatory courses that are required for the Texas Real Estate Licensing Exam and 2. Two restricted electives to provide you with additional useful expertise in areas such as Finance, Marketing, Real Estate.
Over the next five years, the Marketing Department Study will shift our focus to ongoing education as opposed to terminal degrees and we will emphasize upskill and reskill for students as the Austin economy demands. Our student population and changing culture in the business world will be the key drivers for the shift. We believe critical thinking, teamwork to solve problems, effective communication skills, and digital knowledge will be at the heart of what we value and teach our students. In this digital economy, the ability to read and analyze data, strong quantitative analysis skills, understanding the importance of a creative mindset and innovation are all skills our business students must possess as we move through the 2020 decade.
We address accessibility, equity, diversity, and inclusion by providing more opportunities and more accessible support to all Marketing students. We are committed to increasing persistence in all ethnicities and reducing unsuccessful course completion rates for African American and Hispanic students. An example of a personalized experience has been the establishment of multilingual advising opportunities for students. Faculty support is the most critical element for inspiring students to engage in their education experience. We hope to be a catalyst for innovation. Education happens anywhere.
Austin is known as a knowledge-based creative, innovative work city. Austin is a great city for anyone with an associate degree in Real Estate. A greater proportion of our society are seeing the virtues of online education but what students are not experiencing is how to integrate some face-to-face with online education. At ACC we know that good education can happen in many ways and we have a variety of options with online instruction and classroom instruction in a variety of times and places.
WHY CHOOSE REAL ESTATE AT ACC
— Navigating college can be challenging, but not if you choose ACC —
- Intelligent.com ranks ACC as the best online Real Estate Program in the U.S.
- The Real Estate Department offers a free Exam Prep Workshop at the end of each semester to current and former ACC Real Estate students. It is intended for students who are preparing to take the state-mandated exam to become Real Estate Licensees in Texas. It is meant to significantly increase your preparedness to take the Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC) Exam. This 2-day workshop covers both the state and national portions of the exam.
- The Real Estate Club has monthly meetings that include Real Estate instructors and Austin Area realtors to help students gain knowledge and insight into real estate as an industry and as a career.
- The Real Estate Department has partnered with Akins High School to form the first P-TECH (Pathways in Technology Early College High Schools) Real Estate program in Texas. This open-enrollment program provides students grades 9 through 12 with a work-based education that combines high school and post-secondary coursework.
- Real Estate has an exemplary curriculum that is current and utilizes the latest technology which allows our students to become more effective learners.
- Real Estate works with all students to achieve their educational goals. Students are advised to establish a degree plan and are encouraged to progress towards completion of their degree in a timely manner and to save time and money by not taking courses that are not relevant.
- Real Estate ensures that the skills and knowledge gained will prepare students to enter the workforce and have the competencies needed to obtain mastery in the field of Real Estate.
- Real Estate provides small class sizes so that the instructor will have the time to provide individual attention to all students. Real Estate is committed to achieving equity for all students in our program and small classes is one way to give our students individualized attention. Courses in the degree plan are 100% online.
- Real Estate maintains a Departmental Webpage, Facebook page, Instagram and LinkedIn and all are focused on communicating up-to-date information to our students. We understand and utilize Social Media to stay connected and relevant with our students.
- Real Estate offers lower tuition costs over universities.
Austin Community College District is accredited by Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. SACSCOC is the body for the accreditation of degree-granting higher education institutions in the Southern states.
The Business Administration Program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs. ACBSP is the premier accrediting association for business schools and programs with a focus on teaching excellence.
* Google Translations are provided only for your convenience. *
Please contact the department if you have any questions.