This information is provided in addition to information you may find in the catalog. Please remember that requirements change and that these requirements change from time to time and can differ among universities. Students should always consult faculty advisors and/or catalogs of universities to which they plan to transfer.

What Do I Need to Know To Get Started?

Austin Community College maintains an "open door" admissions policy. No entrance or SAT examination is required. A registration application can be submitted any time prior to or during the registration process. Any student who has not earned at least three college-level credit hours prior to fall 1989 must complete the state mandated TSI College-Readiness Standards test.

ACC also gives an assessment test to new students and to transfer students with less than nine hours. Performance on these exams does not prevent admission to ACC but may affect what developmental courses you are required to take before you can take college-level courses. See the ACC Catalog for details.

You may elect to have your previous coursework from an accredited institution of higher education evaluated for transfer credit and the credits may be applied toward a degree program here at ACC. A transcript will be evaluated after you have registered for ACC college-credit classes: and it will be evaluated only upon your request.

To request an evaluation you must complete an evaluation request form that can be obtained in the campus admissions offices or by contacting one of our departmental advisors:

Ina Midkiff: Email or Office: (512) 223.2072

Nick Sarantakes: Email or Office (512) 223.3271.

What Is My Educational Goal?

You must first determine your educational goals before you can address which degree plan you should pursue at ACC. If you intend to transfer to a four-year institution in pursuit of a baccalaureate degree, you need to pursue the Associate of Science Degree in Business Administration at ACC. This degree plan transfers to most four-year schools. If you do not intend to transfer to a four-year school, you may pursue a business related Associate of Applied Science degree or Certificate, which is Non-transferrable, in Real Estate.

Why should I consider starting with a Certificate?

We offer a Real Estate Licensing Certificate. Certificates in our area are not mandated by the Texas Success Initiative (TSI). This means you can delay your developmental math courses and determine if you like the subject before deciding if this is the degree for you.

Completing a certificate is also a good measure that you are progressing towards an Associate Degree and could help you advance in your job. If you decide to pursue a degree then you must take the required 15 hours of general education for TSI college-readiness.

It is not a good idea to put off these requirements indefinitely. Once you decide to get a degree you should start dealing with TSI college-readiness standards.

TSI AssessmentACC Dvelopmental Education Plan

What if I am unsure of my educational goals?

All of the specific two-year Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degrees are very focused toward one area. The requirements in the Business Administration Associate of Science (AS) Degree are more general. They are excellent foundation courses, which include several business related courses and electives.

Moreover, many of these courses transfer to most Texas universities. Thus, if there is any chance that you will want to work toward a four-year degree, it is better to work toward a Business Administration Associate of Science Degree than in any of the more specialized two-year AAS degrees.

I have previous college credit hours. What should I do?

Any current student should request an evaluation of their transcripts from other schools. An official transcript must be submitted from each college attended. You can make this request with any advisor or in the Office of Admissions and Records on any campus.

A specialist at the District Administrative Office will make the evaluation and send a copy to you as well as to the department of your major. Your advisor will then work with you to determine the appropriate use of these courses. There are occasions when courses may be substituted.


Can I get credit for past non-college credit courses?

The college where you took the non-credit courses will determine whether the particular courses you took can be converted to college credit. If they determine that your courses are convertible to college credit, then they will indicate on your transcript that you earned that college credit. After they appear on your transcript from the other college as credit classes, then submit your transcript to ACC for evaluation. If ACC has equivalent courses to those you took, then they will transfer as our courses.

Non-credit courses have a different set of standards to meet than college-credit courses. Differences may be in meeting times, number and types of tests, level of prerequisites, and other things. At most institutions, some (or all) of the non-credit real estate courses do not meet the standards that a college-credit course must meet, so those non-credit courses cannot be converted to credit.

It is not clear from a transcript of non-credit courses which of them met the standards for a college-credit course. It is only the administrators in the college where the non-credit course was offered who have access to all the information needed to determine whether a particular course, in a particular semester, at that institution met the college-credit standards. Thus, such equivalencies must be determined at the institution where the course was offered.

May I receive credit from challenge exams?

This department does not accept challenge exams.

May I receive credit for work experience?

College credit is not given for work experience.

Do developmental courses count toward my degree plan?

No. These are developmental courses, which will prepare students for success in college credit courses and do not count toward any degree.

What Mathematics Course Should I take?

The degree plan for Real Estate requires: MATH 1332 or a MATH elective. It is possible to take any of the Math courses listed in the General Education Course list for this degree.

Computational Skills (Mathematics)

Must I complete an Internship or Practicum to get my degree?

What is an Internship or Practicum and must I complete an Internship in order to receive a degree?

Internships and/or Practicum are career-related activities encountered in the students' area of specialization offered through an individualized agreement among the college, employer, and student.

The student completes the Internship during the final semester before graduation. It is not always practical for a student to complete an Internship and under certain conditions there are alternative courses that may be taken to replace the Internship/Practicum.

For more details and requirements, contact:

Ina Midkiff at 

Nick Sarantakes at 

What's the difference between Academic courses and WECM courses?

Academic Courses – are designed by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board for transfer among community colleges and state public year colleges and universities as freshman and sophomore general education courses.

WECM courses – are designed by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board as Workforce education (technical) courses offered for credit and CEUs (Continuing Education Units). While these courses are designed to transfer among state community colleges, they are not designed to automatically transfer to public four year colleges and universities.

Is there anything else I should know?

YES. This page is not intended to answer all questions. Please read the ACC catalog for additional information.

If you want additional information on Academic Programs, please visit the ACC prepare to transfer webpage. It includes information about how to transfer, course equivalencies, transfer plans, and much more.

For additional questions, contact the ACC Real Estate Department.

What is the Rule of Three?


ACC charges an additional fee, $60 per credit hour, for students registering for a course for a third time or more. This fee applies to credit and Continuing Education courses and includes course attempts made since the fall 2002 semester.

ACC cannot receive state funding for courses a student takes three or more times. The “third attempt” fee was implemented to help the college recover some of the costs of these courses.

Third Course Attempt

Students affected by this new policy should note the following:

Financial aid may be used to cover the additional tuition charge. If you are taking a class for the second time and are considering a third attempt in the future, consult with your instructor and/or advisor. ACC is here to help you succeed.

Questions and Answers

Consequences of drop/withdrawal?


If you want to drop or withdraw from a class after it has started, you must complete certain steps. Unless you take these steps, you will remain enrolled in the class even if you do not attend.

See withdrawal instructions.

IMPORTANT: If you stop attending a class but do not officially drop or withdraw, you will receive an F grade in the course.

Dropping or withdrawing from a class can affect your financial aid, academic standing, or cost of attendance. Your instructor or an advisor also can help you understand possible consequences of withdrawing and explore alternatives.

For example, by state law, undergraduates at Texas colleges and universities are limited to six course drops over their academic career. For many students, courses dropped after the census date are included in this drop limit.

Drop or Withdraw from a Class


Helpful Links


Translate »